3 cylinder Suzuki/Daihatsu engine into a Mini

Hi, anyone had an experience fitting a 3 cylinder Suzuki or Daihatsu engine into a Mini, remember this conversion was popular in the USA a few years ago and am interested in trying it myself......?

Thanks

Barspeed

Reply to
Barspeed and his magical Mini

Hi Jonno I did this conversion about 15 years ago , putting a 900cc Daihatsu turbo diesel in to a mini, got to be one of the easier transplants, I would imagine,

IIR, the difficulties where the gear lever extension, the drive shaft length, engine mounts and stabilizer, fuel pipes, all the usual I suppose, The little 3 cylinder diesel sounded like a brand new lawnmower, and went like a rocket, torque steer was a problem as I recall,

after the transplant it was one of the most reliable cars I ever owned, and regularly out run most things away from traffic lights, up to about 80mph,

it averaged 75mpg and a staggering 100/110 mpg on long runs on motorways

Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

wow, was thinking along the petrol route, but a deisel engine with fuel mileage like that is amazing!

Reply to
Barspeed and his magical Mini

Yes, brilliant little engine, small, and lightweight in comparison, plenty of room under a mini bonnet to play around, people who had these cars would often report 112mpg, if driven carefully, I would always thrash it and still it gave 75mpg Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

What Daihatsu did you source the engine from?

Reply to
Barspeed and his magical Mini

I've been led to believe it was the Charade.

erik.

Reply to
erik fishead

Snip>>

sorry for late reply,,,,,,,,,,,,, quite right Eric, it was the Charade and we even used most of the exhaust system, also,most of the fuel feed and return pipes where used, we used the mini radiator, with fabricated copper pipe work, the wiring was easy, separate fuse box with heavy duty fuses, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Cool, the set up hopefully will go ahead if i can find a car to source from, i am hand building a Moke from scratch using a mini bulk head and floor pan as a basis for the project. Watch this space.....

Jono

Reply to
Barspeed and his magical Mini

Cool, the set up hopefully will go ahead if i can find a car to source from, i am hand building a Moke from scratch using a mini bulk head and floor pan as a basis for the project. Watch this space.....

Jono

Reply to
Barspeed and his magical Mini

Hi Jonno, wouldn't that be called a "Scamp" Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

This is gonna be called a Mini Moak, is it will be finished off with oak sills, yes thats right, the side panels will be topped off with carved oak beams screwed to the top of a skeleton framework and sheet steel. It wont be like a scamp as im using a pattern moke front panel and also copying the mokes basic design, i actually dont like scamps. a number of years ago i bought some Wood and Picket perspex sun visors in green tint, they will be perfect as windscreens. was going to make a speedster, but this seems to have been so many times, when was the last time you saw a recently home made moke?

Jon

Reply to
Barspeed and his magical Mini

must admit Jono,,,, I have never seen a home made moke.... or I don't think I have... I really don't know enough about them to know at a glance if one is genuine or home made,, post some photos of your progress, Regards Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy