Another actual mini qiuestion

One of the bolts has sheared off in the engine block.

If I was to replace it with an "Ultimate Engine Stabiliser" attached to the termostat housing would I also have to have a stabiliser where the original one was fitted?

Chris

Reply to
Chris

You mean the one which holds the engine steady, don't you! Happened to me to, and fixing it is an engine-out job. I fabricated my own replacement which uses the remaining steady bolt and one of the clutch housing bolts, which has done the trick (though I do intend to put it back to original when the engine next has to come out). Plus I'm going to add a bottom steady; I have the bracket which fits the gearbox, but no mounting on the subframe at present. And my engine is a bit vicious ;-)

I believe Minispares, among others, do a similar proprietary bracket, though I've heard people say they're not that good. However it is, like mine, a reasonable short-to-medium term fix.

I don't know anything about the Ultimate Engine Stabiliser, but I'd be very wary of using the thermostat housing for that job. Apart from the fact that those studs are themselves prone to breakage if not treated with respect, the original engine steady is attached to the block, while the stat is on the cylinder head. So ultimately you'd be putting more stress on the head bolts.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

There is also an extra one off the thermostat - this supplements the one above the clutch.

You do need the one above the clutch. r

Reply to
Rob

Oops, spoke too soon... no, my fabrication's alright, but we've cracked the bulkhead bracket again :-( Doesn't help with my L-plate daughter driving it - not so smooth on the clutch yet!

Time to fabricate that bottom steady mounting I think...

Reply to
Chris Bolus