Changing coolant

How often should I change the coolant on my 998cc F Reg Mini? There's no drain plug on the back and it's impossible to release the bottom radiator hose jubilee clip without removing the radiator, a very awkward job. Is there another way? Why did Rover do away with the drain plug?

Any advice welcome.

Albert

Reply to
ln1gaw

Hi Albert Just separate the heater hose connection from the bottom hose, block the bottom hose to prevent water loss, but let the heater hose leak out, poor in the anti-freeze, it will push the water right through the engine and the heater before the anti-freeze comes out, That's it mate, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Getting at the bottom hose clip can be difficult but then again everything on a Mini is ;-)

If the clip was fitted in situ - you can get at it with a special long screwdriver - you would probably only ever need it for this one job but it makes it easy...

I bought a cheap one (Black Spur IIRC) and it works a treat. NS wheel off allows access to wiggle the hose off - and catch the fluid in a bowl.

As for the question as to how often. The good book says every 24 months or 24,000 miles whichever comes first.

I guess if you don't know just change it.

Probably best the flush out the system with a hose pipe and have a new hose to hand as the old one will probably split if it hasn't been off for a while. Arrange the clip so the slot is facing up so that the long screwdriver can work from above.

Its a Mini! Get yer knuckles scraped! :-)

Pedro

Reply to
Pedro

Thanks for your advice guys.

Managed to change the coolant in the end. First I had to remove the N/S wheel and using the straight end of a crowbar through the access port I levered up the screw end of the jubilee clip just enough to unscrew from the top. With the clip loosened I used the same bar through the port to push off the hose. Not the neatest of jobs but still don't know why Rover did away with a simple drain plug.

Flushed the system and fitted a new clip tightened from the top whilst being supported from below with the aforementioned special tool which was long enough to avoid any grazed knuckles. That's another special tool added to my tool box along with the hammer and cold chisel.

Albert

Reply to
ln1gaw

Get a life, Albert! Come out of the closet and quit playing with yur twinkie.

Reply to
Big Peter

"Not the neatest of jobs but still don't know why Rover did away with a simple drain plug"

I think they did anything to save money towards the end...?

Pleased it worked out OK for you.

Pedro

Not even towards the end - the engine block drain plug disappeared many years ago. I think only one of my three Minis has one, and the newest is

1978! Admittedly none of them have their original engines, but they are all 998s,
Reply to
Chris Bolus