Clubby Plastic Hub Caps

Does anyone know how the factory used to paint the black detail on the plastic hub caps?

I assume they sprayed them but wonder if anyone knew how they masked off the silver?

Any ideas?

Thanks

stecks

I guess it was a special process of some kind, but I believe diy restores simply use masking tape and I've heard some have used black stickers cut to size?

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

It's a manufacturing paint printing process called a "Tampo". Basically a big sponge roller that can paint (print) details onto three dimensional objects. There's no way to reproduce it at home, you'll have to resort to masking tape.

Reply to
RobC

Or buy a set of good replacements, because I saw loads for sale at Castle Combe last weekend. Trouble is they had the later Austin Rover centres instead of British Leyland.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Moss used to carry a plastic "shield" for painting the black and silver wheels of an MGB. You would first paint the entire wheel black, then apply the shield and paint the silver parts. Not sure if they carry a similar item for your car, but it's worth looking into.

Charlie (dauph59)

Reply to
dauph59

Thanks all.

I sprayed them silver and then used a sign writing brush to block in the details.

If the car ever does 75mph they should look good :-)

They look quite presentable now.

Thanks also for the info on the process the factory used. It sounds a bit like screen printing in 3-D

Cheers

Peter

dauph59 wrote:

Reply to
Pedro

Hey Pedro....you still got your green card?

Reply to
baarspeed and his homosexual n