Clutch Overhaul

Hey Readers - I'm looking for your opinions again please.

My '89 Mayfair requires a new clutch. I've been quoted 4 hours by the garage and I wondered if there was anything else that could be done easier while the clutch is out - in other words, should I go for an 'engine-out' option? They say that replacing the Verto Clutch with the engine in-situ is tricky but if the engine comes out then the car is immobilised.

I know it needs new front bearings and a steering rack. Anyone willing to estimate the time it would take to do all these at the same time please?

Cashman.

Reply to
TC

mhm ... depending on the mileage of your mayfair you might want to have them look at the primary gears (although that's more a 1275 problem ..) and maybe change the crank shaft gasket as well - if it has developed a bit of a dribble through the lower opening in the clutch housing or if there's oil around the starter motor.

Oh - and it's a bit easier to replace the front rubber cones with the engine out (at least that's what I'm told).

It's been done - but life's of course easier with the engine out (which is fairly easy to do as well but will probably add about two hours to their calculation.

About an hour for both bearings at most, steering rack is fairly quick as well (but there's no need for them to take the engine out for these of course).

Best regards,

-.jan.-

Reply to
Jan Wurster

4 hours to do a verto clutch? How much tea will they be drinking !!!? Clutch- 2 hours Max. There is no need to remove the engine for any of these jobs, and the clutch is fairly easy. The only difficult part is removing the lower rear clutch cover bolt. Front bearings about 1 1/2 hours max for both. As for the steering rack, the rear of the subframe has to be dropped to do this job, but it should not take more than 2 hours. It is wise to replace the primary gear oil seal while the clutch is being replaced, only takes a few minutes and can be done without the special tool. Take off the primary gear and lever out the seal. Fit the seal carefully over the primary gear and offer the gear and seal up to the casing. Carefully tap the seal into the casing and refit the retaining washer and clip.

Easy, innit!?

Keith

Thanks readers - Halfords (UK) had a Clutch Kit for £32.50 !!! (Obsolete Vehicle - see the benefits already). Worth spending the next Public Holiday under the car!

Thanks for all your advice.

Reply to
TC