convert to toyota engen

Hi. Can anyone advide on converting to a toyota engen.. I have heared its not to difficult ... Many Thanks

Reply to
gregory.machin

It's very simple: Sell your Mini to someone that loves them for what they are, then go to the nearest used car lot and buy a Toyota.

What's the problem with Mini engines? If it's just that they're not 'modern' you should have a good think about why you own one.

Reply to
marcel

If you are worried about economy, the standard engine will return upwards of

40mph at a steady 60mph, which even today is a good figur., If you are looking for more performance, an A+ series engine can be tuned near indefinatly, 100BHP is fairly easily achieveable, If you are only looking for super quick performance, and possibly that elusive 5th gear, fit a honda, vauxhall or possibly suzuki engine - these are more commonly fitted to minis, many kits are available etc.

RS

Reply to
RS

Elusive 5th gear? You can have a 5 gear gearbox fitted to a Mini if you really want to you know.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

i do know about the conversions, jack knight do a nice one, but for that money you're already half way there for a honda type R conversion

Reply to
RS

True, and that would return better mpg than an a-series if driven nicely as the mini is about half the weight of a Type R Civic! although you would also have an incredibly fast and reliable car with lots of gears and a smooth engine!

Or you could just spend the same amount on an A-Series and put up with it needing a rebuild every 50,000miles if you thrash it!

miniman

Reply to
miniman

Well my A'series has almost gone around the clock and hasn't needed a rebuild yet and I've occasionally thrashed it too, but I don't have a fifth gear mind you.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

aha but a japanese engine would go around the clock twice and you would be able to constantly thrash it from day one, they even have six gears.......! ;-)

how times have changed and technology has progressed!

Have you noticed that when people say that a car has lots of character they really mean that it has lots of weird niggles and problems that they put up with happily, my mini has character!!!!!!

Has anyone ever made an electric mini (not BINI on new italian job!) there are motors available that you can fit on each wheel, four wheel drive mayhem!

miniman

Reply to
miniman

Maybe so, but a Mini isn't really a Mini unless there's an A'series up front singing away?

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

I am not such a purist and given half a chance would jump ship to some modern technology! Some people have minis to polish and enjoy, I am probably classed as a heathen but I really do enjoy abusing the poor little a-series and will until it breaks, but then they are so cheap to rebuild I would probably do it again and again and again! The gearbox on the other hand leaves much to be desired, I am just about to embark on using motorcycle oil (fully synthetic) and will do some follow up posts when I next service the thing to see whether it is any different to car oil, I have been reliably informed that as the majority of motorbikes have mixed engine gearbox oil then their oils are specifically made for that purpose, no harm in trying!

take care

miniman

Reply to
miniman

Well if you have a monster powered A'series then you really need to fit a gearbox that's man enough for the job? Like a straight cut job for starters?

But I certainly don't just polish and admire my Mini, oh no but then mine's used as the family car too, but I do also enjoy giving it a bit of stick over the mountains/hills that make up the South Wales valleys of my home town.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Straight cut is good but to make a strong box would require about the same dosh as a jap engine,oh decisions!

Good fun those crazy welsh roads! pity about all that rain whenever I go there! ;-)

miniman

Reply to
miniman

Yeah don't talk to me about all the rain and then there's the amount of salt they put on the roads/hills during the winter, like today because there's snow down. Oh yes keeping a Mini healthy here is a tough job you know ;O)

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

There you go....

The Muffin Man

Reply to
The Muffin Man

Thanks for the comentry, I have just bought a 2nd mini so now I have a clubman 1275 with a 2nd engen rebored to 1.310 but both engens died, and spares are killers here in south africa ,

The first engen was shot when I got the mini, will needs complete overhaul. The second dropped its timing chain tensioner, and in the process the clutch sheered the locating washer .. the end of the crank is chewed up. The engen still had its honing makes in the cylinders so it was bearly runin :-( it used to go like a bat out of hell :-) ..

and a clubman 1275 gts that I would like to restore.

I love the handeling of the minis :-).

My reseason for the toyota converesion is , it's cheaper to repair / overhaul and it turns the mini into a pocket rocket.

Reply to
gregory.machin