countryman 68 running problems

My countryman 68 runs very well, but sometimes stops a short time after starting. When I tick with a hammer or spanner on the carburator then the electric fuelpump(back of the car) starts to move again and I can drive . I already changed carburettors and floater and needle, any ideas ?

Frank Wilkeshuis

Reply to
Frank Wilkeshuis

In message , Frank Wilkeshuis writes

It might not be the carb, but the electrical contacts in the SU fuel pump. These are notorious for sticking as they get old. The next time it happens, try reaching under the back and giving the fuel pump a hit, and see if this starts it going. Replacement contacts are readily available.

Reply to
Chris Morriss

Tapping the carb is irrelevant i think, it will be your tapping of the fuel pump that makes it work. The reason it stops after a short time is you have used up the petrol in the float bowl and the pump isnt refilling it.

Fit new contacts as Chris suggested earlier, and if the problem continues let us know!

RS

Reply to
RS

Yes I remember the Mini Magz doing a feature on the electric fuel pump and I believe the firm Burlen manufacture brand new replacements which look exactly like the original for authenticity, but are fitted with electronic components for reliability instead of the old points.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Hello everyone,

I have replaced the fuel pump and the problem has gone away, thanks !

Frank

"Frank Wilkeshuis" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
Frank Wilkeshuis