diesel mini

I was wondering if anybody has converted a mini to a diesel?. If so did the subframe have to be modified dramatically. The reason I ask was that I have been offered a 1.5 diesel metro for much cheapness.

Reply to
Martin Krawczyk

In message , Martin Krawczyk writes

That used a Peugeot 106 engine/transmission didn't it? It's too wide to fit a Mini.

Reply to
Chris Morriss

yeh i think its a peugeot engine. awh well it was just a thought.

Reply to
Martin Krawczyk

Nice idea though!, anythings possible with a big disc cutter and a MIG welder, the only question is, does it actually fit in the engine bay without overhanging the wheels too much? It would probably be a lot heavier than the A series and therefore make the handling a bit strange, plus you have to factor in the massive amounts of sound proofing to make the noise bearable or fit a turbo to it! Probably a bit more reliable than an A series too........ mmmm it is a french engine so maybe not! :-)

Reply to
miniman

In message , Martin Krawczyk writes

Once upon a time BMC made a diesel version of the "A" series engine and fitted it in a "mini tractor". They also made a few (3 I think) experimental versions for car use, but the project got shelved probably about the time when they were took over by Leyland.

Reply to
David Toft

Electric is the ticket me thinks.

I can't wait till I can get a rolled Honda Civic. I say bah to VTec.

Reply to
OsiTech.Net

A few years ago people were putting in Dihatsu engine/drivetrains. 80hp &100+ mpg

Reply to
sample

I think the rover diesel was big and heavy even for the metro, Daihatsu is the answer, or Suzuki, yes, the subframe will need to be modified with additional engine mounts, but this is relatively easy, also driveshafts will need a bit of surgery, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy