Disc brake upgrade

Is the best way to upgrade to disc brakes by fitting Cooper brake and drive units please?

Reply to
Guy Smith

Depends what Cooper your talking about really, I mean do you intend to stick to 10" wheels? If that's the case then ONLY use Cooper S type discs and calipers etc as the basic Cooper disc system was very prone to fade so i'm told, okay early cars had tiny pads and were no more effective than drums (worse some say?), but even though later ones were improved, it's now only advisable to use Cooper S components and only concourse Coopers still retain the original set-ups. Early 1275GT's (up to 1974) used the Cooper S set-up too and it's worth having a servo fitted like the Cooper S and 1275GT.

If your not bothered and don't mind 12" wheels, then the 8.4" discs and stuff is more readily available and cheaper too and just as effective as the Cooper S type and you can fit a servo to ease the force on the pedal also.

Reply to
Taffy

I'll agree totally with that. 1275GT brakes with servo were bloody amazing when I fitted some. That was about 12 years ago mind

HTH Jim

Reply to
Jim

I put a set of 10 inch cooper disks on a mini back in the 70's and it did make a difference from the old front drums. However, my current

1993 cooper with disks for the 12 inch wheels seems much better. With the old 10 inch cooper disks I fitted a servo assist to try and improve things but it didn't seem to make that much difference. Mind you, I wonder if there is any info on fitting disks to the rear wheels? Would that be an improvement or not?
Reply to
flash harry

I think KAD used to do a kit to put discs on the rear. Costs a bomb. Cant see it being the best idea. I manage to lock the rears on the pickup if I hit the brake too hard with no servo. A saloon doesn't have that much more weight in the rear with no passengers.

Try

A servo only changes the feel of the pedal and means you don't have to press as hard. It doesn't make the brakes any better. I personally don't have one. As I say, I can lock the brakes easy enough without one. Just doesn't feel like a Peugeot.

The Muffin Man

------------- Get FREE newsgroup access from

The Muffin Man