Do we need to make a newsgroup for each make?????help!

Ok.......

A is for Austin

B is for BMW

If we all fail to use the correct groups to post in then I might as well send this one off to alt.trash

Why would I want to read posts about the BMW MINI when I am interested in the classic mini? Do we need to create a group called alt.autos.classicmini ??

and alt.autos.BMWMINI ??

Would that help?

It would be nice if it did because I and many others are fed up with trawling through arguments about it!

I know that no one wants to create a new group but over the next few years the problem will only get worse as people buy more BMWs and start having problems with the things.

someone please sort it out!

miniman

Reply to
Trevor

Yawn.......

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

Hi Trev (Miniman),, I think it would be a great idea to have a NG for classics and a NG for BMWs,, if only it was that simple, firstly,, we have exactly that right now, only there are a few people who refuse to acknowledge the differences, secondly ,, this group was founded by "Rocky" way before the BMW version hit the drawing board, so I personally feel it should be preserved, I like to assume this is why some people in the group defend it so fiercely, and third,, I think if we had our own clearly defined group, it still would not stop the troll problem, The only way is to ignore ,,or killfile, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Fair comment fitzy! It is a shame that even after being pointed to the newmini newsgroup some people persist in posting here, C'est la vie!

miniman

Reply to
miniman

Yes, what a shame that non-Mini owners admire them enough to want to post here. What happens when you are driving your Mini down the street, a Nissan pulls up alongside and the driver comments on what a great car you have? Do you tell him that he shouldn't talk to you since he doesn't drive a Mini? "OMG, you're driving an Altima! STOP LOOKING AT ME!!"

Reply to
dauph59

Well I'm generally flattered when people say how nice my Mini looks, so no I think it's fine for non-Mini owners to contribute here, so long as we're all singing from the same Mini hymn sheet that's all. It's just if other vehicles like a certain German hatchback gets mentioned that I take issue myself!

Taffy

------------- Get FREE newsgroup access from

Taffy

Troll!

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

No, not a "troll". And I understand the purpose of this NG. I have not posted anything about my car here, other than telling the members what I drive. If I wanted advice about my car, I would post in the other NG. If I wanted to talk about the old Mini, I would post here. Just because I don't currently own one doesn't mean that I don't like to read about them or talk to current owners about them. They're great cars.

I sincerely apologize to everyone here if my original comments were misunderstood in any way. I'm not a "troll", and I was not, and am not trying to start a fight with anyone here.

Charlie

Steve68s wrote:

Reply to
dauph59

Had the same problem in another (non related) newsgroup some years back.

From experience, I found that politely directing people to the appropriate place to post is most effective. Jumping down their throat just starts a flame war which just causes more clutter. If the people choose to ignore the redirect then they are either a stubby short of a six pack or trolling and should be ignored/kill filed.

Reply to
Stan Blazejewski

What a complete asshole, you are fissy. Why don't you kill file the whole world, and then jump off.

Reply to
madmax

Steve.....put your head back up your ass and go away!

Reply to
madmax

Taffy.....Your car is nothing more than a go-car for midgets. Also you are nothing more than the slime that grows out of the toilet of your own deranged mind.

Reply to
madmax

It only makes sense to create a classic mini news group, but the old narrow minded people in this group are dead set against it. But again, they don't make much sense, themselves. I really think they are afraid that with just classic mini posts, the news group would dwindle down to nothing. In reality they love all of the new mini owners to visit this group. It makes the group look busy.

Reply to
Madmax

And I always thought you were actually upside down

Keith

Reply to
xx

busy with OT posting? ok then

Reply to
miniman

No we'll all be here keeping the faith for decades mate and new blood will join us along the way too. It's the BINI which will die out and vanish long before the real Mini ever will!

Taffy

------------- Get FREE newsgroup access from

Taffy

Oh I see you were feeding the troll and that was his pathetic message? Well don't bother miniman, just killfile the American loser like we all did, then that pile of filth will just be posting messages that nobody else can see, how sad and pathetic is that? You can do it if your using Outlook Express and we gave all the information on what to do in a message called killfile or similar? So just do the same mate.

Taffy

------------- Get FREE newsgroup access from

Taffy

There was a man once who had a 1972 MGB. Chrome bumpers. It was the best car ever! It was hot to drive in the summer... the exhaust pipe under the floor board didn't help either. It was really cold in the winter. The wind would blow in through the ill-fitting convertible top, but that was part of the charm. When it rained, water would drip onto the driver through the seams on the vinyl top.

The carburetors were constantly out of sync, and the points in the distributor needed to be reset every couple thousand miles. If it was driven through a puddle after the rain, it would leave the driver stranded on the side of the road until the electronics dried out.

The car handled fairly, but despite being such a lightweight car it was somewhat underpowered. But despite all of this, it was the best car ever!

The owner was in a local MG club, and the other members would loudly attest to the genius that went into the design of the MGB. I few refinements were made over the years, but it remained basically the same until MG went out of business a few years later.

Things started to change in the automotive world. Mergers, buyouts, closures. Jaguars were now Fords, Lamborghinis were now Chryslers, Lamborghinis were now Volkswagens, Lotuses were now Lamborghinis, at least under the hood. And Minis were now BMW's.

But out of all of the changes, improvements began to be made. Gone were the days of designing a car through trial and error, drawing plans on cocktail napkins, fly-by-wire hardware. The advent of powerful computers in the past three decades have made it possible to achieve design and engineering precision unparalled in years past. Cars now are more powerful, more fuel efficient, safer... all wonderful qualities.

Still, the man with the 1972 MGB proclaimed that his old, cold, leaky car was the best car ever. After all, it had something that newer cars could never have... "soul".

Could it be that the man in my story is unwilling to accept change, or to see the benefit of progress? Admittedly, his car should be preserved and admired. But the new Ford/Jags and the Volks/Lambos are fine cars in their own time, which is the present!

Likewise the new MINI.

Reply to
dauph59

Beautifully phrased, Dauph!

Reply to
madmax

American filth and loser....I see taffy still is a bigot.

Reply to
madmax