Dream Machine Mini Coopers

Don't forget to watch Dream Machine tonight, actually 03:00hrs Sunday Morning, on Discovery Real Time. Its the one where Mark Evans restores three Mini Coopers to look like those in that famous film we all like, set in Turin!!!!

Happy viewing

Martin

Reply to
Martin

While your waiting for that you could watch Get Carter on TCM2 at 9 O'Clock tonight.

Reply to
TurboJo

I watched that the other day, I think I counted 4 Mini's and 8 mini skirts

Reply to
Martin

Just 8 Mini Skirts? There were at least a dozen in that dance hall, worn by loads of groovy chicks.

Reply to
Taffy

Groovy ? Mini skirts ? Come on people, get with the times.

Reply to
madmax

Oh yeah I was at the seaside (Porthcawl, pretty local for me) yesterday and I saw more than a few groovy chicks wearing Mini's, but well it's always nice to look and appreciate I guess? ;O)

Still it was a great day out as my niece was there with her American husband who has a fair bit in common with me. Well he loves the Pink Floyd and most other British Rock Bands of the 1960's and 1970's too (but I told him to get the current band Supergrass's album "Life On Other Planets" as it's a real pastiche of 1960's/1970's sounds and you can here influences from The Beatles, early 1970's Glam Rock legend Marc Bolan of T-Rex fame and a bit of Punk (but in a good way) too, but Supergrass rock in their own style anyway! Oh yeah and he loves the real Mini too! Well my niece had a Mini which he drove and loved, but sadly she sold it to finance a trip to Australia a year or so back. Still they do miss it, especially now as they've just spent hundreds of pounds (on exhaust and power steering faults etc) on the lousy hatchback they currently have. But at least it isn't a BINI I suppose! LOL

Oh and we all had a cracking meal, a drink and a walk through town and along the seafront/beach and fed some swans and ducks by a lake. A grand day out it was!

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Taffy, I hope you took your mini to the sea side too?

Martin

Reply to
Martin

And as for "Get Carter" well I think they should put a preservation order on the Gateshead 1960's concrete brutalist multi-storey high-rise car-park now! Well some of the misserable buggers who live in the vacinity want it demolished because their tired of looking at it. But there's a "Get Carter" appreciation group (I think their called?) who are trying to save it.

Well why not? as future generations will come calling and want to see that iconic structure, only to be told it got demolished at the start of the 21st century! Apparently Tesco's own it now and they may knock it down, because it would cost too much to renovate! If they do demolish it, I'm never shopping in Tesco's again, EVER! Strange fact is that room at the top which you see in the film and which was meant to be a nightclub or restaurant, never did get finished and has been an empty shell all these years/decades!

So come on Britain, save a bit of history, I mean people saved old Statley Mansion's and Art Deco Structures etc, so let's save a bit of

1960's Modenist architecture too. Yes one day people will ask where did all the 1960's/1970's concrete modernist stuff go like high-rise council tower blocks and car-parks. Renovate and save I say, oh and sort out the rubbish people who live there too of course!

Just my 2pence worth.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

What the hell is "get Carter" ?

Reply to
Madmax

Sounds like the perfect, retro, girls day out ! Living in the past with eyes wide shut.

Reply to
Madmax

Well of course I did, it'd get upset if I left it at home?

Reply to
Taffy

... and how long did I spend downloading this ??? lol

I'm gonna go buy it :-)

As I remember there was not one female in the film wearing a skirt that could in anyway be described as 'too long' :-D

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Well I found this site that has a load of images used to compare the locations used in the film of then and now:-

Unfortunately it does say the famous Gateshead car-park is earmarked for demolishing some time soon, let's hope someone saves it before then!

Taffy

Oh yeah and forgot to say that Supergrass album "Life On Other Planets" , the last track "Run" sounds very much like Pink Floyd. Well it's spaced out, bleak and gloomy too, but awesome nevertheless! ;O)

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy