Electrical problems on a 1994 Tahiti

Hi,

My sister has a problem with her 1994 Rover Mini Tahiti. It's completely standard, so no modifications in any respect.

The car has not been used much at night for a couple of years. A week or so ago she was driving home and the both the headlights went out.

On further inspection, the casing of the red wire to the fuse box in the engine bay looks melted, as does the brown wire to the switch behind the dashboard. The 25A fuse in the top of the fuse box had blown.

I tried a new fuse, nothing. So a new switch... nothing. Any suggestions on what to try next? The front and rear lights do not come on at all, neither do the relevant dashboard lights. Everything else works perfectly...

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Howard Rose

Someone once claimed the main headlight fuse is situated behind the dashboard and it's only stated so in the Rover Dealers workshop manual, or at least this is the case on injection Mini's. Don't know if it's true though, but if it is then that might be the cause?

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Hi mate.. try posting on

They've helped me so much, and it's free to register :)

Mick

Reply to
Mick Rouse

To be honest it does sound like a short circuit somewhere, job for an auto electrician I think.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Take off both headlamps and check the sockets, sometimes these melt and cause problems, are they the correct wattage lamps in the headlamp units? I think 94 minis should have the halogen conversion, the problem is that the loom isn't man enough to take too much the bigger lamps, (you can get 100w/80w to fit!).

Then check your loom for the headlamps all the way round the engine bay, especially behind the grill!

Failing that I think you may well have to rewire the headlamp feeds as it is probably melted in the loom!

I hope that helps a little!

miniman

Reply to
miniman