Electronic ignition - what is best?

Greetings to all minifans!

My '69 red MKII vil need an overhaul this summer. And I have decided, that electronic ignition will be a good upgrade. The motor is a 1100 cc with HS4 carb. and 45d distributor with vacuum advance. The motor is not - and will not be - tuned. Just a standard Mini just for fun!

When looking at the Minispares website I can see three possibilities:

Pertronix - around 60£ Lumenition - around 90£ Piranha - customer order only - 30£.

Anybody who can give a bit of advise? What is the differences between the systems? Pro and con? Need any change to the vacuum advance? What will be the best/easiest to install and use?

Any advice/experiences is welcome!

Greetings from Copenhagen, Denmark, sunny 25 C

HenrikS.

Reply to
Henrik S.

Hello Henrik. Love Copenhagen btw!, nipped over there when I stayed with my uncle in Malmo.

Lumenition is a good name and has been around a long time. Its very simple and involves simply replacing the points. No outside ignition box so under the bonnet looks all original. No need to change the vacuum advance unit.

Chri$

Reply to
<$>

I like the Lumenition Magnetronic because every one I have installed hasn't required any retiming. The timing before installation is the same as the timing after installation. A well designed device.

Give some consideration to the 123 distributor. They are expensive but you end up with an unworn distributor, electronic ignition and an advance curve that is more appropriate for your engine. My personal belief is that you will save the price difference in engine wear and fuel consumption.

Cheers,

Kelley

Reply to
Kelley Mascher