Help to Identify Wires on Mini Wiper Motor

Extract from my website regarding fitting a BL Mini Wiper motor to a Ford Escort based loom:

Wipers

Assuming you are using a BL wiper motor, you have the problem that the wire colours are different to those on the Escort. The Escort has five wires to the wiper motor, in two groups - two power wires (green and red, from the column stalk) which have a grey plug, and three other wires via a black plastic connector to a headlamp-type plug on the wiper body (these are the motor earth and the park wires). The BL motor also has five wires doing the same jobs, going to a 5-way multi connector with 4.8mm female spade terminals which plugs into the wiper unit. You should cut off this connector with as much wire to spare as possible when you get your motor from the scrapyard. You can remove the wires from it by poking a small pointed object into the business side of each terminal - there is a small cut-out - and bending the non-return lug flat. This allows you to use new terminals. Or, you can leave the wires in place and make soldered connections to the Escort wires. The big question is, which Escort wire to which BL wire? OK - BL black is the motor earth, which goes to Escort brown / white. Escort green is low speed, and goes to BL red/green. Escort red is high speed, going to BL blue/green. Escort black/violet is the park power supply and goes to BL green. Escort black/brown is the park earth and goes to BL brown/green. If your Escort has a wiper delay (marked on the column stalk, plus you have a large red relay like a flasher relay) then this will work fine with the BL motor. Its wiring isn't detailed in the Haynes manuals, so I can't help if you don't have one but want to add one.

Cheers

Peter

"miniman" wrote in message news:2006041511292750073-trevordeffee@thecolourafterrednet...

Reply to
TurboJo

Hi All.

I'm using a mini wiper motor in a Westfield, no idea of the donor vehicle details, sorry.

Motor been working fine for years, but during rebuild work all three wires have "popped" off the back of the multi plug on the motor! There's red, blue and yellow, no doubt for park, single speed, double speed.

Can anyone identify for me which wires are which?

Don't really want to take out and remove cover to identify.

Many thanks, Neil

Reply to
Westie

Hi Neil

I can't remember offhand, will look later!

I would just supply each wire with 12v to see what they all do! as long as the motor casing is grounded it would be fine!

miniman

Reply to
miniman

Red light green trace 22 TO #5 SWITCH

Brown with a light green trace 44 #7 SWITCH

Green is the main power supply 11 TO #4 SWITCH and power supply

earth 33

Blue with a pink trace 55 #2 switch

Wiper

11 22 33 44 55

Rocker Switch

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Your colours don't make sense. Dont cross the wires as you could burn the wiper and the auto park.

If there are only 3 wire then its a single speed????

Reply to
Rob

In message

, Rob writes

The wire colours you mention are those in the wiring loom itself. From what I remember, if you look at the wiper motor, the wire colours from the inside of the motor to the attached plug/socket are different, and may well be as the poster said. If I had a spare wiper motor I would check, but I don't have a spare one. (And there's not much of them visible either between the plastic body of the socket and the insides of the motor).

Reply to
Chris Morriss

That's the way I read it too. I finally got to do some work on the Fury today, so I took a photo...

I'd guess the three wires are ground, high speed and low speed. The park switching is done inside the white plastic multi-plug thingy.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

maybe this will help:

greetings, Theo van den Bogaard

Reply to
t.a.j.m.vdnbogaard

Yep. It's all working fine - or it would be if only I had a windscreen!

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp