Hi-Lo's

Advice please, I am thinking of fitting a set of 4 Hi-Lo's Are they better than standard or do I leave well alone, Thanks Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

The proper Ripspeed pattern ones, as sold by Mini spares, have a larger spring platform than stock cone and thus are (reportedly) supposed to give a better spring rate. Would your average plonker notice it? Hmm, hard to say.

Would you have another reason for doing it (ie: adjusting ride height) or is it just for pub bragging rights? If the latter, I would probably just leave well enough alone.

I would also mention that you shouldn't just fit them to solve a sagging suspension due ot worn out cones/worn thru knuckle cups problem either. Solve those problems the right way instead.

Reply to
mwalsh

I said stock cone there, I obviously meant stock trumpet. Soz!

Reply to
mwalsh

Well i've had the Mini-Sport Adjusta-Rides (Mini Sport's version of the Hi-Lo) fitted all round on my 90' Mainstream Cooper for the past decade and they've been excellent, but I fitted them to fine tune the ride height mainly. Well I say fine tune as my Mini was a bit low up front and had it's rear in the air a touch, so the Adjusta-Rides sorted that out and I fitted a set of Adjustable Gas Spax Dampers all round too. But I admit it's still running on it's original rubber cones, so maybe one day they'll get replaced too. ;O)

Reply to
Taffy

Thanks folks, I must admit, my intention was to adjust it from the low front and high rear on a 1983 City E I have been renovating for 3 years, the suspension has not sagged so I assume the rubbers are ok, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Yes the rubbers will probably be fine, the trouble is the knuckle joints can fail/wear which causes the suspension to lower, so even just using new knuckle joints would make a difference, but with Hi-lo's or Adjusta-Rides, you can fine tune the ride height to how you want it too.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Thanks Taff, I was intending to fit New Knuckles while it was stripped, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy