Historic Car Tax petition

You're wasting your time. They've made their minds up. Here's the response.

We received a petition asking:

"We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to change the tax exemption laws for historic motor cars."

Details of Petition:

--------------------

"Currently cars have to have been constructed before a set date - the

1st January 1973 to be eligible for historic car tax exemption. We the undersigned would like the date to be move as it has been fixed for a number of years. A number of cars which were built in British factories are becoming few and far between and would like the Government to help preserve these cars by offering and extension on the current exemption date."

Government's response

---------------------

The Government is committed to using Vehicle Excise Duty as a means of bringing environmental factors into consideration when people choose to take ownership of a car. Vehicle Excise Duty also helps to support the Government's wider policy objectives by providing a valuable source of revenue from which important public services may be funded.

The Government recognises that many historic car owners would have been disappointed when the 1998 Budget decision was made to freeze the rolling 25 year exemption at 1973. However, the Government continues to judge that in the light of its environmental focus for Vehicle Excise Duty it would be inappropriate to extend the exemption at this point in time.

It should be noted that the current exemption remains in force, currently benefiting some 307,407 vehicles, many of which will be maintained in careful preservation by their owners. The exemption applies equally to all historic cars built before January 1973 irrespective of their country of manufacture.

Some other types of historic vehicle are also exempt from payment of Vehicle Excise Duty. This Government decided to make all steam powered vehicles exempt from April 2001, benefiting vehicles like preserved steam powered road rollers and traction engines. Historic lorries built before 1973 are also exempt, provided that they are not used commercially.

The Government believes that it has got the balance right in the current exemptions it offers. In considering the case for further exemptions or changes to existing ones the Government has to consider the stability of its tax measures, the consistency of its environmental signal, and the costs of delivery - these would include initial implementation costs and ongoing administrative costs.

Reply to
Conor

If people don't want to pay tax on a car they can declare it as off road and then do any work on it. I don't see why people should avoid paying road tax when most of us are forced to. I would also like to see people riding bikes having to pay tax and insurance - also mobility scooters taken off the road unless taxed and insured. The Police take children's electric cars off the road!

Reply to
AndyT

wot?

Reply to
Spook

The date being 15 Jul 2007, "Spook" decided to write:

That rather misses the point. The concession encourages people to preserve our motoring heritage. Moreover the Government should be encouraging people to keep older cars on the road. If they are not doing high mileages then it is much more environmentally friendly to keep a car on the road than to scrap it and cause a new one to be manufactured. Of course the politicians pay lip service to the planet and then do whatever the big multinationals tell them to do.

Reply to
Richard Porter

Genuine heritage milestones will be valuable enough in their own right without needing a subsidy.

Most cars are scrapped long before they get to 25 years old. That argument would be better applied to more recent vehicles that produce less emissions.

My feeling is it might distort the classic market and increase the value of borderline age cars making them too expensive for some true enthusiasts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed, a true enthusiast will preserve a classic car regardless of any tax breaks.

Reply to
:Jerry:

I am an enthusiast of goat sex. Should I preserve an old car or just bronze my dick?

Reply to
Turdo Jo

Of my four Minis, only one pays tax. The cost of insuring and MOTing them is higher than the tax (though the exempt ones do also benefit from cheaper insurance being over 30 y.o). I could afford to pay for them all if I had to, but it's nice not having to worry about it. It also makes me more inclined to keep them taxed if something breaks; if my modern car breaks and needs to be off the road for a while I consider SORN (and have this year once); with the exempt cars I leave them with a tax disc while they have MOT. For the same reason my project Minis are insured on the same classic policy as the Elf, because it doesn't cost any more, even though they're not going on the road for a while.

I suspect the majority of classic tax-exempt car owners also have a taxed modern car as well, and in most cases the classic is only driven occasionally. Perversely I choose to drive my Elf to work (25 miles no less!) and leave my full-rate taxed modern car on the drive!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Just preserve your dick.................and the gene pool.

Reply to
<me

Wait till congestion tax, New Labour will screw you even more than they are now, trust me,

Steve68s.

Reply to
Steve68s

How dare you come into our group and bring such disrepute! You are disgusting!

Reply to
Dr Hammond

morning Richard

Shame our GOVT in NZ dosn't see it he same way LOL, we only get a cheaper rate at 40 yrs plus. the good news is that my jem is nearly finished! Engines in, wheels are on, just sorting the wiring and then the interior and glass can go back in.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Tim,

It's the same here in Australia although the "Conditional Registration" ($60 a year compared to about $250 for normal rego.) has the sort of conditions that makes it useless if you want to use the car outside of club events. What I suspect is that, unless we are vigilant, cars older than 10 years will be legislated off the road. There are lots of ways it could be done.

Graham

Reply to
GrahamL

_ > >>> /'_/) > >>> ,/_ / > >>> / / > >>> /'_'/' '/'__'7, > >>> /'/ / / /" /_\ > >>> ('( ' Fuck /' ') > >>> \ You' / > >>> '&#39; _.7' > >>> \ ( > >>> \ \

Reply to
swollenmember

Things are moving that way in local decisions in the UK. My local council has suddenly decided on a policy of not granting Private Hire licences to cars over 7 years old or with a high mileage.

At the moment, a guy with a 25 year old Mercedes Limousine is lodging an appeal against their decision not to renew his Private Hire licence when it expires later this year. I have seen his limo - pure white and long wheelbase but not a stretch one. He has owned it since new, and it still looks in new condition.

I hope he wins. A bride needs something stylish to arrive at church in!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Something in real steel! Plastic doesn't cut it somehow, does it?

GrahamL