Mini 25 Petrol advice

I`m new to mini`s but intend to learn as much as possible. I`ve just bought a 1984 mini 25 that was converted to an automatic with a 1991 engine, 18 months ago. The original manual says use four star petrol, but as that was written in `84, and four star is rather harder to get hold of now, I`m wondering what would be best to use? Premium unleaded? Or what? I`m in the UK, btw if that makes a difference.

Mark

Reply to
slatibartfast

Hello Mark,

It it's a 1991 engine then it should be ok to use unleaded fuel.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

That all depends on wether the engine's been changed to unleaded or not....

If not it's best to use premium unleaded with the additive that you can get in most garages, or halfords.

Ta

Mick

p.s. nice one choosing a 25 :)

Reply to
Mick Rouse

Thanks for replying Taffy. How would I confirm the age of the engine? Just to be on the safe side?

Mark

Reply to
slatibartfast

Hi, thanks for the reply.

How would I find that out?

Do you know what it`s called?

Yeah, I`m pretty chuffed with it, that`s why I`m being so careful about it`s treatment.

Mark

Reply to
slatibartfast

Hello Mark,

I think stripping the head is the only sure way of knowing if it's unleaded fuel compatible or not. As for the Halfords unleaded treatment, I believe they only sell Valvemaster, which is a bit pricey. The better stuff is available at Sparesworld and is called Car Plan Nitrox Unleaded Additive and can be bought in small bottles making it more economical. You just add a measured amount before filling up with unleaded petrol. You may need to get the timing adjusted if your going to use additives as your Mini might start pinking.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

I am not sure of auto engine numbers but I think if the engine number starts

99HE its unleaded,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s