Mini Advice

Hi,

As its getting near to spring thought I'd ask for some general bodywork advice.

Me and the mrs each own minis. The wifes car is a 2000 (W) year Cooper LE, Brooklands Green owned from new. Bodywork is pretty good, with just the usual front seam bubbling, some rust spots appearing in the roof guttering and there's going to be some under the winscreen rubber.

Mine is a 2000 (X) year Classic, OEW. This has a bit more rust. I'll list out the problems.

Roof Guttering Front Seams Passenger sill, some paint has come right off, but its not bubbling underneath yet. Behind the front numberplate, and under the rear bumper. Having had the windscreen replaced not so long ago, I had noticed surface rust under the rubber. A fair bit of paint has flaked off from the drivers side part of the engine bay. At the moment both cars have the rubber spongy things in place within the engine compartment.

If the car isnt washed for a couple of weeks, I do 50 miles a day to work and back, then tiny little orange spots of rust appear, they are so small that you only notice them when giving it a good clean, and a quick whiz with SafeCut gets rid. But I gess these spots need touching up as well.

Luckly all of the rust seems to be surface only.

Once the weather gets a bit warmer I was going to try and clean up the paintwork myself, and I was interested in any advice or past experience of cleaning, priming and painting areas short of a full respray.

Also..any recommended equipment people might be using when touching up bodywork, and where's the best place (UK) to get mini car paint. I've looked at Machinemart for tools and they seem reasonably cost effective, and Paints4u for the primer and paints.

Finally, the big thing that worries me, is keying the new painted areas up to the old ones. Lukily most of the problems arent on facing panels, so this might not be such of a problem but I have heard about some paints not sitting correctly on the old paint and one flaking from the other.

sorry for the long winded message...

any help gratefully received.

Cheers

Ash

Reply to
Ash

Hi Ash, Unless you really know what your doing, paintwork on any car is so labour intensive and costly, so I'm sure you would agree, its in your best interest to get it right first time, This means getting professional advice from a trusted source,

Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Also, be prepared to find that the rust may be worse than it looks at the moment. The bubbles are just where it's showing. If you decide to repair yourself, you should expect to have to take of a fair amount of 'good' paint around the bubble to find clean metal and be sure that you've got all the rust.

G.

Reply to
Gordon Welsh

I live in the desert and my doors and boot lid startesd to bubble whre the sheet metal folds around the edge. But that dosnt matter anymore, I got rear ended in a wreck a couple of weeks ago. Seems like there are NO shops here in Las Vegas Nevada wants to try to fix my mini! Lets just say I got hit so hard that my seat got torn off the tracks.

Bruce

Reply to
Juice