mini lights

im having a problem with my indicaters and hazards, they only seem to work after the engine has been ran for a few minutes and then after a few seconds seem to short out, ive checked and fuses and wiring and the flasher unit and they all seem fine.i need your help, can u give me any idea wot it could be? thanks rich cud it be the alternator or battery?

Reply to
richmollie

What all of the indicators? or just fronts or back? When you say 'short out' do you mean blow the fuse? And if they are working what speed are they going?

Check none of your bulbs have blown short circuit and have a look at the bullet connectors behind the grill.

cheers

-anthony

Reply to
Anthony

"have a look at the bullet connectors behind the grill"

I agree wholeheartedly, it's behind the slam panel.

Reply to
OsiTech.Net

yea, all the lights! after the car has been running at any speed just reved up they sometimes work, but then they cut out and the flasher unit makes a strange sound like an electic buzzing for a few seconds.

Reply to
richmollie

also not sure how relevant is this, i can get the flasher unit working and the dash hazard light working by pressing it half on, but then when i put it on full, strange noises again from the flasher unit, cheers for your help

Reply to
richmollie

Here in the colonies where Mini stockists are few and far in between, I tend to keep known good spares laying around.

So my point is if you can try another known good flasher unit.

Good luck as you get frustrated just keep in mind this is going to be a simple fix as opposed to the same thing in a, gasp, 2006 MINI.

Reply to
OsiTech.Net

ive ave tried new flasher unit but no joy, cheers anyway mate

Reply to
richmollie

when i refer to all the lights, i mean all the indicaters(all front, rear and side).

Reply to
richmollie

I would 'hazard' a guess (pun intended :-) ) that your hazard switch may well be the next best place to look at for a simple fix, it pops out quite easily and if you are feelin brave you can take the whole thing apart and clean up the contacts as they could be slightly corroded causing a high resistance which would give the flasher unit a reduced voltage, possibly causing the buzzing you have described.

Another thing that makes me think that it could be your hazard switch is that the headlight one is a similar design and that tends to die after a while, not a nice occurance when you are bombing along a country lane at 80+mph and then lose all your lights :-)

And don't forget, just because you bought a new flasher unit from the motor factor doesn't mean that it will work, I went through about four in a week from Halfords uk and then tried a 'proper' unipart one and never had any problems after that!

Miniman

Reply to
miniman

Have a good look at where the wires go into the connectors that plug onto the unit. The Crimps can come loose and might be causing your problem.

You can also try shorting out the pins in the plug and all the indicator lights should come on. If they dont you have a fault somewhere else

-anthony

Reply to
Anthony

In my experiennce most problems with lights on cars is usually due to poor earth connections.

The designers of car electrics, depend on the body to act as an earth return, years of rust, and vibration mean that after a while this may no longer be the case.

Mini indicators being made of die-cast metal, suffer in the same manner.

If you remove the indicators and make sure they have a good connection with the body, and add an additional earth connection from the indicator to a good earth point (all the way back to the earth side of the battery if that is what it takes).

Obviously, a poor earth causes the lights not to work, but intermittant earths cause the voltage to fluctuate, that in turn will blow bulbs and fuses.

Hope this helps

Reply to
David Gould

problem solved, i found two damaged wires under the grill and the the back of the carbuettor. cheers 4 all your help.

Reply to
richmollie

Excellent.

On all my future Minis (as in my current Moke) it's brand new wiring harness for me.

Reply to
OsiTech.Net