Mini tools

I'm after the tool to pull out (and insert) the clutch side crankshaft oil seal. Part number 18G 1068B I've gone through all the usual mini sites and googled like **** but can't find a stockist anywhere ! I'm sure someone here will know some place off the top of their head that does these, so I thought I'd ask here. While I'm in a typing mood, anyone know the best way to remove the fixed rear side windows in the later minis 1984 onwards ? and is the best way to get them back in with the usual piece of string ? I'm gonna have to weld in a new rear quarter panel at some point

Many thanks Jim

Reply to
Jim

Mini Mania USA sell the insertion tool but not the extractor.

Dean

Well that's half the tool Thanks Dean Was looking for a UK supplier though

Reply to
Jim

Have you tried your local Halford's?

I got mine from thewre a couple of years ago for not a lot of pounds (cant remember exactly how much)

Ive still got it too.

Works on Verto and non Verto clutches too (has both sizes of bolts)

Reply to
minifreek

Wrong tool. He wants to replace the oil seal not the clutch plate. Dean.

Reply to
Dean Chapman

Readers- 'Draper' tools offer a multi-purpose oil seal 'remover' in their catalogue- it's about a fiver. UK.p/n 37439

Reply to
TC

OK I'll describe a bit better (I hope) I need the tool that pulls out the primary gear and the oil seal, it's basically like a can cut in half that hooks behind the primary gear, then by tightening a bolt pulls the above out. If you have a look in any mini manual, you should see one in use, if you've ever used one, you know exactlt what I mean :-) Halfords did actually sell these although it was a few years ago but as minifreak says, they now only do the flywheel pullers.

Thanks for the answers anyhoo Cheers Jim

Reply to
Jim

When I last did this job (the only time), I asked around about this tool and was told by several garages to hook it out with a screwdriver. After trying this and failing, I eventually hied the tool from my local Rover garage (your local what garage?). It did make the job a lot easier. Dean

Reply to
Dean Chapman

I stand (or sit) corrected LOL

That'll teach me to read through first....

My apologies

Hope you get the tool you are after.

Reply to
minifreek

I tried the screwdriver method but sudden loss of knuckles put paid to that idea. if all else fails I'll have to fabricate one myself. As for hiring one from my local Rover Garage, perhaps now would be the time, I might not be able to take it back afterwards ! Luckily enough the seal hasn't actually gone but I'm going to need to replace the clutch in a month or so, so I'll replace the seal while I have the thing apart.

Cheers all

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I'm sure I've sean somewhere that Mini Mania are coming to the UK.

Can't find a web site yewt though.

$69 dollars seams a bit steep.

TurboJo

The insertion tool is easy to make, especially if you have access to a lathe. The removal tool is the problem. The originals were made by Sykes Pickavant. Have you tried them? Won't be cheap though.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Thanks for that John. Now I know Sykes made them I can hound them for one (or at least try). No access to a lathe but plenty of electrical tape and some tube of the right diameter should do for the insertion tube. Thanks very much Jim

Reply to
Jim

Really cheap and quick option here..... If you can't get hold of the tool then just screw two self tappers into the oilseal and pull it out with pliers you may need to drill little pilot hole to get them started so be careful with the swarf! Putting a new one in should pose no problems if you wrap plenty of insulation tape round the splines!

hope that gets you out of a sticky situation!

Trev

Reply to
miniman

I just stick a screwdriver in the seal lip and lever it out simple.

Reply to
Rob

Try bending the tip of a screwdriver over by 2mm, then hook it under and progresively pull it out moving round an inch at a time. I made a tool like this 20 years ago, and it still works.

For putting a new one in, cut a plastic bottle up - like washing up liquid bottle - take top and bottom off and slit the side, then wrap that round the splines, and put electical tape down the exposed edge, then oil liberally.

Ease the new seal over, with a bit of oil on the outer edge, then tap it progressively into the slot. Use a light hammer, and some soft wood to protect the seal from damage.

Good luck!

JOC.

Reply to
John

Nice one, that should do the trick ! Do you trim the ends of the bottle once it's wrapped round to remove any lip on the bottle that could damage the new seal ?

Cheers Jim

Reply to
Jim