Mini Winged badge

Is the winged Mini badge a horrible BMW invention or was it created prior to them owning the Mini brand? i.e. proper Rover

Reply to
Martin

Rover had them on their cars, perhaps starting on around the early 90's coopers etc? and had it right up to the last sportspack models. The BMW winged badge is an adaptaion of the rover one, the BMW has angled wing tips rather than the rounded tips of the rover example.

RS

Reply to
RS

Hi, I seem to remember that the winged badge was first used by Austin back in the 60s. There was a variation of it as a bonnet badge on the Austin Coopers. The "wings" were small and were under the Austin Cooper name. I have one of these badges in my collection. Keith

Reply to
xx

it is at the bottom of unusual items page 2 see what you think? Keith

Reply to
xx

Think martin is on about something more like this:

Keith - think you missed off the .co.uk to your site

RS

Reply to
RS

Thanks Keith but RS has got it, thanks for the explanation

Reply to
Martin

Yes, I did. Sorry about that Keith

Reply to
xx

I seem to remember some story (I'll stand corrected for this) about it harking back to the Spitfires

Jim (Ducks)

Reply to
Jim

You mention the Standard Motor Company - Triumph Spitfires then this must go back further than that - the Standard 10 was badged Flying 10 (or 8 ??) and that had the wings also.

Reply to
Rob