mini write-off

Kid on a scooter decided to bounce off the front of my mini on saturday morning, he was fine but his scooter wasnt and my 1991 mini cooper needs a new headlight, bumper and grill but no serious damage. My insurance is fully comp but I also have a witness who will testify it was the scooters fault. After an inspection by the repairers I have been told by insurer (elephant) that its un-economical to repair - so basically regardless of blame I'm shafted!

The problem is although its fully road worthy with mot until November its got some rust in the usual places.

Any ideas how I can ensure I get the right price for it (in order to buy it back and do the =A3100 repairs myself.

The insurer uses the glass guide, that only goes down to 1998. I checked parker and they quote a 1996 cooper as in the region of =A31500 for a good one (show me where to buy it!) or =A3800 for a poor one. Assuming they will deem mine poor I could be in trouble, any ideas...

Regards, Gwilym.

p=2Es. no car for atleast three weeks now as my mini is apparently not road worthy :(

Reply to
dt97gdo

Sorry to hear about that :-( Remember with insurance companies they are meant to give you the replacement value, so find a few adds for minis of around the same year in around the same condition (prior to accident) so you have some back up when they try and get away with offering you around £500, as they'll surely try ! Fully Comp GOOD Remember to keep train/bus tickets etc then make the company an offer. For your own sake, take LOADS of photos of the damage and loads when you make the repairs, this way you'll have some proof that it was only minor damage should you ever sell it on V5s I believe now have to state if the car was ever written off.

I'm sure someone with more experience of write offs will be along shortly to give you some better idea shortly.

Personally I've ever only written off one motor and that was a Mercedes Actros and it's trailer in 2001 when I turned the **(ker over on a roundabout. It was only a month old too ! The boss needless to say was not too happy !

HTH Jim

Reply to
Jim

I would compare similar cars out of the mini world magazine, they are over priced in this more often than not, so it should help you get a higher pay out.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

Hang on the only damage was a broken headlight, bumper and grille? I wouldn't even bother using the insurance for those as they cost peanuts to replace!

Just buy the parts yourself and then go around to the little scroates house with the bill and threaten to smash all his toys (including his bloody scooter) if he doesn't pay up with the pocket money from his daddy!

As for insurance, well get any Mini on an "agreed value scheme", then the insurer has got to pay up to the full agreed value of the car when any disaster strikes as without that, they'll always go for bottom book values, even though Mini's are appreciating assets now!

Reply to
Taffy

Reply to
kilroycg

Thanks everyone for the advice bit of a dilemma...

I wont know what they're going to offer until I send all my documents (point of no return) I pushed the customer services guy who went through to the engineer and told me the repair was quoted at =A31400 - un-economical as the book value for a good car that year is =A31400! so option1: I send them everything take the mini off the road and see what they want to offer then haggle, buy it back for 10% of what they give me and get it repaired - maybe have some extra to fix other bits :) But have to deal with the hassle of new mot and everything else about getting it back on the road and have a blot for evermore on the V5 saying it has been written off (anyone confirm this?)

Option 2: I withdraw my part of the claim get a new headlight grill and bumper fit them myself and live with the dents until I come to deal with the rust elsewhere.

Bearing in mind I'm not really bothered about resale, this mini is for keeps (along with my Routemaster bus!)

Any advice much appreciated, the documents will be on their way to the insurer tomorrow...

Gwilym.

Reply to
dt97gdo

Nice driving, ace! Hit a bike, go to jail!

Reply to
Madmax

dont forget to claim for the 2 expensive motorcycle helmets that where in you boot, remember they are a "single impact device" been there done that!

Steve.

I wont know what they're going to offer until I send all my documents (point of no return) I pushed the customer services guy who went through to the engineer and told me the repair was quoted at £1400 - un-economical as the book value for a good car that year is £1400! so option1: I send them everything take the mini off the road and see what they want to offer then haggle, buy it back for 10% of what they give me and get it repaired - maybe have some extra to fix other bits :) But have to deal with the hassle of new mot and everything else about getting it back on the road and have a blot for evermore on the V5 saying it has been written off (anyone confirm this?)

Option 2: I withdraw my part of the claim get a new headlight grill and bumper fit them myself and live with the dents until I come to deal with the rust elsewhere.

Bearing in mind I'm not really bothered about resale, this mini is for keeps (along with my Routemaster bus!)

Any advice much appreciated, the documents will be on their way to the insurer tomorrow...

Gwilym.

Reply to
Steve68s

If you're going to withdraw your part of the cklaim, try Taffy's advice

- have a word with the scrote who hit you and get him to pay for the new parts.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
kilroycg

I totally agree with Taffy,

You DONT have to go through your insurance at all.....

Go round to the scroats house MAKE him buy the parts for your car and forget about the insurance. If he says he aint gonna pay I have a few "friends" that will gladly go round to his house and have a physical word with him LOL

- have a word with the scrote who hit you and get him to pay for the new parts.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
MiNiFrEeK

Hi Gwilym, now obviously you WONT be claiming this through your insurance... it'll be claimed through his....

You DON'T want them to write this off as you won't be able to get salvage as it's been claimed from his insurance...

You should get a 2nd opinion with the repairs (and you ARE legally allowed this) as the first estimate may just be enough to push you over the "line" in between a repair and a write off..

Oh and btw, DONT use Elephant for mini's... they are the worlds worst!!!! You need to get yourself an "agreed evaluation" which you can get from most reputable insurers for about £15 to £20 a year... (try lancaster or HIC), that way you don't get shafted.if something like this happens again

**hopefully it wont**

All the best and I sincerley hope you get it all sorted out.

Mick (Minimick25 -

Mick Rouse