Mk1 Ignition Problems

Hi,

Have just replaced the starter solenoid on my MK1 Cooper 998. Prior to replacing it, I had plenty of juice in the battery (headlights working, ignition circuit live etc.), but the starter motor wouldn't turn on the key.

Having just replaced the solenoid with an original Lucas (I know - 'prince of darkness') part, I now have abolsutely no power! I had disconnected the battery earth strap prior to fitting the solenoid - I have made sure that I reconnected it properly...no juice at all.

Anybody have any ideas???

Please reply to the thread as I have not used a proper email address.

Many thanks,

Art (in Dublin)

Reply to
news.iol.ie

The starter solenoid has two heavy cables attached to it. One comes up from the battery; the other goes to the starter.

It also has s small wire to a seperate terminal, that's just the "start" signal from the ignition switch, when you apply power there, the solenoid contacts close.

Finally, it has a bunch of other wires attached to the same side as the battery lead.

If you connect the battery lead to the starter side and the starter lead to the battery side.....

Do I need to explain any further?

Reply to
Graham W

You were right! Thats what I get for hurrying to finish a job when it was getting dark......

Now I have twigged that the original problem wasn't the solenoid at all - seems to be the starter motor. There is an audible click when the solenoid contacts close, but nothing else. After a few tries, the high tension lead from the solenoid to the starter was warm, as was the starter motor itself. I tried cranking the square ended bolt sticking out of the motor a few times, but it made no difference. (impossible to get at this)

Are there any easy tests I can do? I have no idea whether motors just seize, or die entirely. Prior to this problem occur>> Have just replaced the starter solenoid on my MK1 Cooper 998. Prior to

Reply to
news.iol.ie

Try starting the car with the lights switched on. If they dim then the starter is still taking power from the battery. I had this on my Mini Clubman. It was a jammed pinion on the starter. Removing and refitting the starter motor cured the problem.

Reply to
Clive W

hi Take the starter out of the hole its only 2 bolts and easier if you remove the grille.

Earth the body of the starter on the side of the engine and get someone to turn the key and see if it spins. you also want to see the bendix throw itself to the other end of the shaft and return when stopped.

If the solinoid has a rubber button on top in the middle of the heavy cables you can push that to turn the starter. if not it will be solid and you cant do it that way. ( i dont know why they did away with that idea ?)

There is another way with a screwdriver or spanner but thats dangerous and I'm not tellin you how,, nor should anyone else..

fragged

Reply to
fragged

You can use a metal watch strap aswell but it tends to burn your wrist and make you bang your head on the bonnet.

Reply to
TurboJo

hahahahahahah

Reply to
Tim

and poke your nosey mate in the eye with your elbow as you try to remove the watch

Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy