New mini airbag Q...

Hi,

I know there is a new mini group but it seems to get very little traffic and there is a lot of new mini stuff on here so...

I'm looking for help with a recurrent problem with my gf's 2002 Cooper. It continually shows the airbag warning light and every time it goes back to the dealer they apparently replace some clips under a seat which cures it until it is valeted again (we suspect that some muppet with a vacuum cleaner attachment breaks them...).

Has anyone experienced the same? Does anyone know the location of the part that is being being broken? And has anyone re-engineered it so that it doesn't happen again?

Many thanks

CAS

Reply to
CAS

Oh, by the way,,,, be prepared to get flamed, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

This is not an unusual fault, other manufacturer's suffer with the same fault, its a faulty wiring harness,connecting the seat to the ECU, it tells the ECU that the seat is occupied and to deploy the airbag if in accident, usually when there is constant seat adjustment due to various drivers, this causes a bad connection, this is then logged as a fault in the ECU memory, this is then displayed on the dash as airbag malfunction, it sounds like the dealer just cleans the connection, then resets the ECU by wiping the memory, the next time the seat is adjusted ,the light comes back on, the dealer is obviously NOT fixing the fault, he's just resetting the ECU, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

So us it.

....wanker. Just because other people spam this group with their new-Mini crap you think it is ok for you to do so? There is a newsgroup for the BMW thing. If the newsgroup is crap, that only reflects the car, doesn't it? Don't keep coming here with your problems. You bought it, you live with it.

Regards, David Betts snipped-for-privacy@minilist.org The Mini Gallery:

David Betts

David Betts pulled a wax crayon from his bottom a scribbled thus :

You really need to take a chill pill dude......

Why are you so angry and so full of hatred to someone who doesn't buy the same car as you ?

Have you ever been to see a psychiatrist ?

Did you have a particularly harsh upbringing ?

Can't you just learn to get along with your fellow man and woman and put your predjudices to one side ?

Commonly known as growing up and putting your playground pissing competition to bed once and for all.

I think you'll find that behind the cars people are just people, you know what, you might even get along with them if you met them in a social gathering without the cars present !

Feel free to flame away David, its the usual response, but I do worry about someone with so much pent up anger.

Reply to
someone.not

I did that too, you'll also note that I didn't cross post it.

Yup, I enjoy it and its good for the heart. There are those who say they do and those who lie...

Nope, that's why I put a nice friendly little note saying why I was posting here as well as the other one. By the way you might want to check the definition of spam.

Nope, it reflects the fact that the model is new and most people take them back to the dealer under warranty. There aren't enough of them out of warranty to have gained the kind of DIY support network of more established models.

Nope, I didn't. I'm just a net-head car nut trying to help my GF save a bob or two. And while we're at it, you make out that I am/we are unhappy with it which couldn't be further from the truth.

Nope, no regards at all. You are quite clearly an old-mini bore with a narrow mind and a very sad outlook on life. FWIW I used to own an old mini or two and my GF used to have an old style Cooper (although one of the more recent Rover versions rather than a 'proper' one) and fortunately most of the old mini drivers and enthusiasts we've spoken to have been friendly, interested and enquisitive about the new BMW mini rather than rude, arrogant biggots like yourself.

If the form here is that of "old mini only", tell me so without insults and flames. I'm guessing that you are sat there hiding behind your ADSL connection thinking yourself all big, important and clever. You fool no one but yourself...

CAS

Reply to
CAS

Many thanks for the sensible reply. I suspect that they are probably dislodging something when they valet the car...

CAS

Reply to
CAS

When driving around in my 1989 Mini I get lots of friendly waves from fellow Mini owners and quite often smiles from Bini owners but I have never been tempted to stick two fingers up at them.

On the other hand I have never been tempted to ask questions about connecting to Karoo using Fedora with my Speedtouch modem just because I didn't get an answer on the Karoo.Linux newsgroup.

I personally quite like the Bini and would not object if my wife wanted one as a replacement for her aging Rover. I own and love 2 Minis but I also have a passion for RS Fords especially the MK1 Escorts but I would not dream of posting questions about them on this news group.

I agree with the sentiment regarding not posting to this newsgroup, but not how it was said, it is so easy to be rude, but quite difficult to express the same opinion politely.

I suggest that the correct newsgroup should be used as if everyone had this attitude the whole newsgroup thing would collapse in disarray. A useful alternative for UK Bini owners to cross post on may be uk.rec.cars.maintenance.

I hope none of the above offends anyone as that is not my intention.

Peter

established

Reply to
TurboJo

Well Said Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

What could be ruder than barging into the wrong newsgroup - even when admitting that he knows it is the wrong newsgroup - and then talking about something completely irrelevant. Certainly nothing I said. We can do without these prats. He deserves everything he gets.... including being ripped off by his BMW dealer.

Regards, David Betts snipped-for-privacy@minilist.org The Mini Gallery:

David Betts

I suspect that they are probably dislodging something when they valet the car...

either by moving the seat or the nozzle from the vacuum disturbs the connection, The dealer knows what's wrong and also knows what to do to re set the fault, but I don't think there is a service bulletin with a successful repair procedure,,, or they are not following the correct procedure I could be wrong ?? try a different dealer, or contact the manufacturer by letter, address should be in the back pages of your service handbook HTH Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

No I didn't, I hadn't a clue, I used to hang around on the lotus elan group a while back but that got amalgamated due to lack of activity into the generic lotus one. Which is why I explained calmly and rationally *why* I posted to this group, hardly barging I feel.

alt.autos.mini... mini... *mini* *MINI* Like it or not (and your position is quite clear) the new mini is a mini. BMW own the name, the brand, Cooper the lot. Which ever way you cut it the new mini is a mini. Now it is clear that this particular enclave of usenet is for Issigonis designed minis I shall say no more about BMW ones.

That's a sweeping generallisation wouldn't you say?

I'm getting nothing out of the ordinary for a car... I don't have a problem with it, just a minor niggle I want to get sorted.

And so far that hasn't happened, the car is *just* out of warranty... we shall see... In fact, the whole point of asking was to ensure that I knew what was wrong so I *don't* get ripped off by the dealer.

I'm puzzled, tho, as to how you can tell what I do and don't deserve by my GFs choice of car...?

Nope, still none.

CAS

Reply to
CAS

...except of course to thank Fitzy and Biffa for their helpful and friendly replies.

CAS

Reply to
CAS

established

Well who's giving insults and flames now CAS? And sorry mate as far as most of us are concerned the issigonis Mini is the only Mini we're interested in. I mean BMW can call it's hatchback whatever they like, but it isn't a Mini and never will be.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

I totally and utterly agree with Taffy, there is only one mini for me, and there will only ever be one mini, regardless of what BMW say and do with badges, never the less I gave advice on a defect affecting the very car we don't recognise, because its easier to give a civil reply and pass on information, than to get in to the cut and paste slanging mach arguments that we are witnessing now, To quote Tim in NZ, "if its not a mini its just traffic" Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

information,

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

I don't see what the hoopla baloo is all about anyways.

Again this group is named alt.minis, not alt.Austin.minis

Reply to
Tatiele

arghhh thaks Fitzy....does that mean Im nealry famouse now being quotedon a NG?

By the way, the Wheels went onto the Jem last weekend at last!

oh and If Lis decided she wanted a BINI, I'd go looking for a doctor to get her certified LOL...not becuase as many think that they are crap or otherwise...but becuase they are to bloody expensive and not that well made....

down here in NZ we can buy a Subaru Impretsa for 1/2 the money of a BINI, or even better still the New Renault Clio RS183.....more power, better brakes/handling/styling/ finish etc etc and about 15 grand cheaper!

but I'll stick to my wee collection of Mini Cooper/Cooper S's thank you.....

becuase....

"if it ain't a Mini its just traffic!!"

Reply to
Tim

What? Not Austin Mini...you must be American....

not all Minis where built by Austin, and not all Minis are Coopers or Cooper S......

but all Cooper & Cooper S are both Minis and either Austin or Morris.....

me think that your ignorance is showing LOL

Reply to
Tim

So there you are Tim, where have you been hiding mate,, send some photos of the Jem, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy