newbie question

Brilliant...

Reply to
Tatiele

Well technically, of course, you are only allowed to import a pre-'72 car, so it will have done plenty of miles and probably been rebuilt a couple of times anyway. Be careful, though. A lot of the Minis being offered for sale to the States are later cars with earlier identities. Importing them is illegal and they can be confiscated.

As far as winter goes, nothing better than a Mini. How do you think they won all those Monte Carlo rallies?

Regards, David Betts snipped-for-privacy@minilist.org The Mini Gallery:

David Betts

So please explain why kera madise has posted the exact same wording to her question?

Reply to
RS

We're actually allowed 25 years or older not just pre -'72.

Still doesn't explain all the Sport Packs...

Cheers,

Kelley

Reply to
Kelley Mascher

Unusually I too remembered the post, I am normally a bit of a goldfish. See below.

*Newsgroups: alt.autos.mini *From: Doppelbock snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMyahoo.com *Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:10:34 GMT *Local: Fri, Jul 8 2005 12:10 pm *Subject: newbie question *Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

*I'm thinking of getting a Mini for my next car. I live in Ohio, we get a

*few days per year where I need to drive to work through snow. Can anyone *tell me how the Mini's do in snow? Also what type of longevity can I *expect from a Mini? (e.g., I expect 200K+ miles from my Honda Accord *before it's ready for the junkyard.)

*thanks,

*DB

Reply to
TurboJo

Because he or she is trolling. The post will be from one of the people who is trying to destablilise this newsgroup. Still, it is a good excuse to talk about how good Minis are in snow and mention the Monte Carlo Rally .

Regards, David Betts snipped-for-privacy@minilist.org The Mini Gallery:

David Betts

Didn't know that. Any car, irrespective of whether it complies with the US emission and safety standards for its year of manufacture? I thought with Minis they were only qualified up to the point where official sales were halted. What standards do 25-year-old cars have to comply with, or does that vary from state to state?

Nothing explains all the Sports Packs! Trend now is to convert

12-inchers back to 10-inchers.

Regards, David Betts snipped-for-privacy@minilist.org The Mini Gallery:

David Betts

Any car 25 years or older can be imported. I just rechecked the U.S. Customs, DOT and EPA websites . No special requirements. Importation is Federal law via U.S. Customs. States handle registration and annual inspection/emissions if required.

Minis were discontinued in the U.S. before any laws came into effect that would have effected them. In fact, mid-70s Canadian Minis would have met early '70s U.S. requirements. So it was certainly possible. The cars would have had to have been modified and put through testing by BLMC. I believe the Mini was discontinued in the U.S. because Leyland had a better car for the U.S. market. The Austin America. The sarcasm is mine, but I think British Leyland believed it. Another interesting fact is that we had the MG Midget virtually unmodified (a bit of pollution equipment) until 1974.

Cheers,

Kelley

Reply to
Kelley Mascher