Oil leaking and fixing it...

Hello group!

As a proud Dutch 1996 Mini Kensington owner I drive around when the weather permits. Until recently no problems! Since last week the car is leaking oil, multiple drops only during and shortly after driving. As the leaking occurs on the top half of the block, it stops when the oil sinks in the block after the car is parked. Yet there is a problem how to solve the leaking. In the Haynes manual is said to tighten the two bolts of the rocker cover but not too tight.... what is "not too tight"??????? I mean, chances are that the block leaks from there, but will I damage a gasket or the block when I tighten the bolts? The bolts keep on tightening, and resistance doesn't grow.

Anybody please advise!

Thanks,

Muesli

Reply to
Nick Name

You are right in that the resistance of the bolts will not increase greatly, as you are effectively squashing the cork gasket between the rocker cover and the head. What i normally do if i have this problem is tighten the two bolts another full turn each, run the engine and see if oil is still leaking. if there is still a leak, tighten 1 more turn etc until the leak stops. you will not be damaging the block or head at all Happy spannering Ryan

Reply to
Ryan Shaw

Hahahaha, thanks Ryan. I will do that and see.

Muesli

"Ryan Shaw" wrote in news:d5v8n9$38c$ snipped-for-privacy@heffalump.dur.ac.uk:

Reply to
Nick Name

If the leak doesn't stop when you tighten the two rocker cover nuts then the best thing to do is to get a new gasket.

Reply to
Andrew Murray

Did mine a few weeks back after 10 years of oil loss. The old gasket was compressed and split into 3. Part stuck in place. £1 later and all is well. The engine got a good clean up the motorway in the rain with the grill off and now i wont get so dirty fixing it!

Reply to
Doogs

New rocker cover gasket needed. Replace the sealing rubbers around the bolts as well. An alloy rocker cover helps here as it's a lot more rigid than the standard pressed steel thing.

John

Reply to
John Manders