Putting My Mini Back On The Road

Well it's been over a year since I stored my 90' Mainstream Cooper in our garage, so does anyone have any tips on getting it going again. I guess it'll need an oil change and maybe the battery will need a charge but any advice would be appreciated. I just need to fully insure it (its currently on a storage insurance policy) Mot it and then tax it. It'll be good to have another Issigonis Mini on the road instead of the BMW Blob.

Although I haven't checked it yet I'm concerned the clutch pedal might not budge (well it happened on my niece and sisters Minis when they were laid up) as it's the verto system and it has something to do with the slave cylinder I believe, so will warming the engine up cure this? Forcing the pedal down just knocks the pedal out of alignment, at least that's what happened on my niece and sisters.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

I presume it is rust in the slave cylinder causing the piston to stick in the bore, I doubt warming the engine will cure this. hopefully it won't happen. I haven't heard of this although I have experience the clutch sticking after a winter lay up. I have heard of brakes sticking on when left with the handbrake on over the winter.

You can also get problems with brakes pistons/cylinders corroding in a similar manner to the clutch slave cylinder piston so check them before driving.

Cheers

Reply to
TurboJo

"Taffy" wrote

Before you try this, make sure you use penetration oil (plusgas or the like) on the arm on the clutch (the one on the left hand side of the engine connecting to the slave cylinder, so that it is freeish.)

Best way to free the clutch is make sure the car is in gear, (1st) and press and depress the accellerator on and off repeatedly so the car "jerks"... make sure that you keep your clutch depressed.

You'll hear a hell of a bang, and that'll be your clutch free.... (i know it sounds harsh but it works.)

Mick

Reply to
Mick Rouse