quick question

Will the hubs , discs and callipers from a 1300 metro go straight on to a City E mini, or is there major surgery involved, Thanks Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Yes they will fit, but it is not recommended as it alters wheel geometry, so it is necessary to fit negative? arms etc.

just a decent set of 8.4 inch mini discs are a great improvement for drums. i use ebc green stuff pads, but any sports pad improves braking on top.

hth RS

Reply to
RS

Yes, but will destroy your geometry!. There is also a requirement to usea particular balljoint due to taper shape. However, if you are doing this so as to use the vented discs I believe it is possible to fit the caliper disk and drive flange(has to be machined in any case to fit the wheel ) using bolts from Somerford. I daresay they can also advise you about the rest at the same time.

Reply to
nitefire

See

Reply to
TurboJo

Thanks nightfire and RS, I think I will go with the new disc and greenstuff pads, I can live without vented discs, cheers Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

It can be done as mine has it done. I dont know how it was but it seems ok. the breaks are outstanding though, I havent managed to fade them yet

cheers

-anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Well I can vouch for the EBC Greenstuff brake pads as my 90' Mainstream Cooper has them fitted and they were a major improvement on standard pads and i've not had any fade problems either.

Not that i've tried to make them fade mind as yet, but yes their excellent and you get less brake dust on your alloys too!

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Thanks turbojo, lots of valuable info on the site you posted, The donor car is a E reg 87/88 1.3 Metro, (due to bodywork failing the new MOT) I already have the complete engine from this car, full history 1 owner 38,000 miles, I am tempted to get the hubs and have a go, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Now you mention it Taffy, I have greenstuff pads in my sidewalk, they stop on a button, and hardly any dust on the wheels, I never experienced any brake fade either, even when we did the Italian alps, last year, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

As TurboJo said, it's not a straight swap, If you use the Metro hubs you'll need to change the swivel joints to the pre '85 metro ones, or they will not fit the suspension arms (different taper)

see also:

HTH, Theo van den Bogaard

Reply to
t.a.j.m.vdnbogaard

yes they can, dependent on the year of the Metro, but to maintian the integrity of the wheel track you have to reforge the top arms by heating and cranking upwards by 1.3 to 1.4 degrees. Don't fit negative camber bottom arms, it will throw everything out even more.

Reply to
Tim

Hello my Kiwi friend, how are you doing these days, how is the NZ winter this year, Thanks for the info on the metro hub conversion, so you bend the top arm aprox 1. degree, I can handle that Tim, but I'm not to keen on heating any suspension components, I have seen some items snap after heat treatment, how long ago did you do Lis's car, and do you still have it, I suppose some of your NZ unsealed roads would be the ultimate test, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

The brakes are an excellent upgrade but you want to steer clear of the metro hubs. Because of the metro's different geometry you have to fit negative camber bottom arms just to get the wheels back to normal!

Best bet is to use the mini hub with the metro vented disc and drive flange - and obviously the metro caliper. You will also need a set of 'mini-to-metro' brake pipes as the metro calipers have two flexihoses on each caliper. Minispares do a kit

. It all bolts up to the std mini hub no problem. You may need 13's though. Mine were under a set of 13" 4spoke revo's. EBC greenstuff best for fast road, heard pagid or mintex better for trackdays. I used unipart pads, never had any probs on the track - was using a remote servo though so may have hidden extra effort needed.

I would advise fitting uprated tie bars if fitting venteds, there is a lot more stress going through this. Mini's tend to weave under hhhhhard braking anyway.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Thanks Chris I will report back during the week, and let you know what decisions I have made, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

we built her car in 1998, done 45K now and never and issue. Don't just spot heat the arms, you have to do it in a forge so the whole structure is heated.

Reply to
Tim

Mad poms in campervans, blocking lanes, you must be joking Tim, ;-) I could drive for hours at a time over there Tim, without seeing another car,LOL I remember reading a sign, UNSEALED ROAD AHEAD, we all looked at each other, shrugged shoulders and said in unison, WHAT'S ONE OF THOSE, we soon found out when we went straight off the smooth road surface on to the aggregate foundation, and disappeared,leaving a cloud of dust, just like John Wayne in a western, Good fun though Tim, Regards Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

A quick update,,,,,, Fitted brake pipe conversions to metro 4 pot callipers, also fitted metro hubs and back plates, fitted some vented discs, bleed the system, and what a difference it makes,,,,,,,,,,,, brilliant stopping power, Thanks for all the help and advice Folks, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy