Re: Engine Steady Bracket

I appreciate this may be an old post.......

i've hand engine steady problems, the bottom offside has gone twice... running on one, the one to the left of the bay connected on side of lump via cable is fine, movement of the engine is perfectly normal, happens with every car. I've installed a 3rd bracket, goes from bulk head, right of washer bottle to radiator bolts, I would advice getting one, and checking your bushers too.

any problems

andy snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Thanks for the replys both on the group and by private email. > > -- > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- > -------- > "There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes" > Fourth Doctor Who(Tom Baker) > Doctor Who Web Site > >> Dear all, >> I have a question and hope that one of you may be able to help > me. >> Last Saturday I looked at a Mini ('96 model) I am thinking of buying. The >> car seems to be in good condition for its age however there is something >> I >> am concerned about: the egine fixings. From my current Mini I know how >> important it is that the engine is fixed securely. Initially on my Mini > this >> was not the case. One bolt was missing resulting in the engine shacking >> forwards and backwards when accelerating causing cables behind the engine >> block to get damaged. After fixing an engine steady bracket and repairing >> the damaged cables everything was fine again. >> When I looked at the Mini I intend to buy I noticed that the engine block >> moved slightly when accelerating. About one centimeter backwards and >> forward. However the bolt on the left side that was broken on my Mini > seemed >> to be fine. Can anyone tell me if that is normal? If so, how much >> movement >> is acceptable without risking damage. Or is the engine moving a sign that >> the bolt is about to snap as it did on my Mini. >> To prevent any damage I was thinking of installing an engine steady > bracket >> as soon as I have the car at home but as I have to drive it back home >> first - which is a solid 4 hour motorway trip - I am worried I might >> cause >> damaged to the little fellow. Please can anyone help me ..... ? >> >> Thanks >> Justin >> >> >> -- >> My Doctor Who Website
>> Dear all, >> I have a question and hope that one of you may be able to help > me. >> Last Saturday I looked at a Mini ('96 model) I am thinking of buying. The > >> car seems to be in good condition for its age however there is something >> I >> am concerned about: the egine fixings. From my current Mini I know how >> important it is that the engine is fixed securely. Initially on my Mini > this >> was not the case. One bolt was missing resulting in the engine shacking >> forwards and backwards when accelerating causing cables behind the engine >> block to get damaged. After fixing an engine steady bracket and repairing >> the damaged cables everything was fine again. >> When I looked at the Mini I intend to buy I noticed that the engine block >> moved slightly when accelerating. About one centimeter backwards and >> forward. However the bolt on the left side that was broken on my Mini > seemed >> to be fine. Can anyone tell me if that is normal? If so, how much >> movement >> is acceptable without risking damage. Or is the engine moving a sign that >> the bolt is about to snap as it did on my Mini. >> To prevent any damage I was thinking of installing an engine steady > bracket >> as soon as I have the car at home but as I have to drive it back home >> first - which is a solid 4 hour motorway trip - I am worried I might >> cause >> damaged to the little fellow. Please can anyone help me ..... ? >> >> Thanks >> Justin >> >> >> -- >> My Doctor Who Website
Andy Carver

it could fatigue the rad bolts, best to get one that sandwitches between the cyl head, the thermostat housing & the end exhaust manifold stud to the bulkhead, can mail you pics of mine if you like,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s