Re: Merry Mini Christmas To You All!

Ok these old advertisments might seem a bit cheesy now (or not when compared to BINI adverts!) but the Mini's kissing under the mistletoe advert (Minis have Feelings Too) was shown on TV over Xmas 1986 and 1987 with the Mini's side by side appearing in the Xmas Radio Times/TV Times magazines around the same time. What's significant is they were the first Mini adverts put on TV by Rover since the launch of the Metro in 1980. Although Mini production didn't end in 1980 as many thought, production was due to end some time in 1987. Prior to this date the then chairman of Rover, Graham Day was asked at a Paris Motor Show why was Mini going to die and as a result he looked into promoting it again as he could see there was still a demand. Anyway thanks to him we got the Mini Christmas adverts which increased sales and thus production increased, The Mini didn't die in 1987 and then after the success of Mini 30 @ Silverstone in 1989 a year later the Cooper name was resurrected.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Just remembered too, back when these adverts were on the telly, I was walking past Lex Rover of Cardiff's showroom and smack bang in the middle of the window was a Mini all dressed up with snow, wrapped gifts and fairy lights etc. It looked amazing and I was sorry I didn't have my camera on me. I actually bought my current Mini from Lex, sadly it's a BMW dealership now selling all sorts of crap.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy