Rear quarter panels

Anyone have any hints on fitting rear quarter panels ? I'll be getting the panels that come upto the back side windows. Obviously it'll welded along the seams and spot welded up the front edge (just inside the door) but what about the top of the panels ? ie between the bottom of the side windows and the seam ? should I leave about 1/2" of metal there and use a joggler to make a lap joint or just butt weld ? and should I actually weld the joint or just braze it ? Whichever method I use the joint will be lead loaded afterwards to cover up any mess.

If it matters any I've got a MIG and Oxy/Acetylene gear to do the job.

Petrol tank battery etc etc will be stripped out because as much as I'd like to meet Issigonis I don't want to meet him just yet

Cheers as always

Jim

Reply to
Jim

That sounds like a weekend of fun!

MIG it, as UK MOT requirements require continuous seam welds and not brazing on repairs! (even though a properly done Brazed joint is pretty strong), the other fact is that you will find the acetylene tends to distort panels if you aren't really careful!

If you can joggle then go mad and do that as it makes welding the repair panels in a lot easier, although you may find that the process of joggling straightens the curves in the panels if your jaws aren't narrow enough.

As with all repairs, tack it in first, then check for trueness with the rest of the body and then join the dots!

Hope that helps a little

miniman

PS don,t forget the waxoyl!

Reply to