Rolling radius - something to think about or not?

Recently I upgraded both the wheels and tyres on my car, and had to go to a

70 profile height instead of 80, because I was worried about the rolling radius being different to original. Would this actually have been a problem, because next time I might fit the higher profile in order to get a better ride?
Reply to
greasemonkey78

Depends if you changed the width. Usual reason for going lower profile is to maintain the gear ratios and speedo calibration (and wheel arch clearance) when using wider than standard tyres. eg. 145/80/10 is roughly the same rolling radius as 165/70/10 (and possibly 165/55/12?). The poor ride is the price you pay for fashionably wide boots. (A lot worse with 175/50/13s, I would guess.)

Reply to
Paul Prescott

I have two cars (mine and the wifes) on 13's and both are comfortable....my

66 S on 10's is more nimble and easier on tight turning... but feels ever pot hole in the roads ....

Mind you both cars on 13's have the Moulton Smooth ride kits fitted.....

Reply to
Tim

Tim, does the '66 'S' still have the 40 year-old rubber springs?

Cheers, Kelley

Reply to
Kelley Mascher

I think his car has new rubber cones fitted, these are part of the moulton smoothride kit,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s