seeking a mini

First, could anybody give me some clues to determine if a second hand mini is worth to be bought ? Especially what are the weak points to look at ?

Second, I've been told in the past that Mini engines weren't built by BMW because they were too big to fit under the bonnet. Japanese or Korean engines were used instead. Don't know if this was true or not. Anybody knows ?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
thor

rust is the big problem, check it thoroughly, all the engines where British designed A series & A+, BMW engines or Japanese engines where never fitted in real minis as standard although the Honda V tec is quite a popular conversion, the real, original classic mini should not be confused with other cars bearing the same name, its like comparing a sheep to a lama, the only thing in common is the are covered in wool,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

They are both front wheel drives, they both have wheels out at the corner, they were both designed by Austin/Rover/BMC, they are both sanctioned by the number one racing family in UK = John Cooper Works.

Reply to
OsiTech.Net

Yep, true, both have won monte carlo rallies too I guess, both are proven rally cars & both are 10 foot long, I may be wrong.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

Aint life a bitch, you get the feeling someone has pissed in you cornflakes? mines 31 years old, I realy wonder how many bmw binis will be on the road in

31 years time................

Steve.

31 years old;

no rust at 31:

Steve68s

When was the last time the MCR was run?

The MINI is winning it's own share of races and earning accolades.

The BINI is also a proven rally winner. We all know that the BINI is not 10 foot but there are other Mini variants that I am sure are shorter/longer than 10 foot.

I'll measure up my 1967 Austin Mini Moke and report back

OsiTech.Net

My current Moke is 38 years old and my MK1 is 44 and both are in Southern California with no rust. What's your point?

Sorry I am not one for breakfasts so no cereals for me. Give me a hearth heart clogging Nigerian lunch and I will be okay for the day.

Reply to
OsiTech.Net

When a bini makes a reputation like the origional one did I will conced I am wrong, I am not saying the classic one is a better, although in its time it was, take 1965 for example with 14 outright rally wins in international rallys including the Monte Carlo, the new bini cooper was designed as a marketing ploy to get people to buy it on the laurels of its predecesor, the origional mini cooper was designed to go motor racing, do you know why the mini was called mini? quote: "miniture, small of its kind" somthing the size of a Fiat Punto or Ford Fiesta is not mini what ever you or anyone else thinks :-) the new car is not bad its just not mini, a more appropriate name would be Maxi or Allegro, its easier for the untrained eye to see what I mean if you park a bini next to a mini, they are diffrent sizes.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

The historic MCR runs every year and has many Minis competing every year.

Please let us know what world class rally a BMW MINI has won ?

We all know that the BINI is not 10

None of them weigh more than 1 ton!

Reply to
Nicholas Bales

There were cars of the same era that made Minis look like a giant, the Messerschmitt (sp) and others.

In todays day and age the MINI is still a very small car. Maybe it's a US thing but the MINI is very small compared to my Ford Expedition SUV, pickup trucks, etc

But you are right it is easier for the untrained eye to see that the BINI is bigger than say a Chevy Metro.

It's not important to me to label you as wrong or right, I just will not stand for vile hatred of BINIS (I don't own one by the way - I own classics). I am hoping someone is sticking up for our classics when they are called rusty little burgers.

Reply to
OsiTech.Net

I am sure you are wrong about MCR running every year. It may be a type but the real MCR that the Mini ran in cannot be run in these day and age.

There is no us, it's just you mate. If you want to know what worlds class rally the MINI has won, goggle it.

I thought we were talking size, so now we are talking weights?

Reply to
OsiTech.Net

Gentlemen,

First, thanks to all who answered although the original thread is going away ! I've been a Triumph (1500 FH) owner for 19 years. I sold it for a Z3. I cried. It was my baby, completely restored and pampered. It never went to the mechanics except for body work (should I add: painting only). So I perfectly know where the pitfalls are for this kind of cars, whatever they are Triumph or Minis of the same generation.

The today question is related to the new Minis, manufactured by BMW. The engine question has been answered but keeps me a little bit confused: what I'm understanding is that the current engines aren't manufactured by BMW nor are Japanese. Should I conclude that they are built by the British ? Which brand ? On what basis ?

Second the BMW Qual. standards have been applied. Consequently, I'm thinking that failure analyses were made, resulting on weakness corrections. The new ones are completely different. With a new generation of weaknesses. What are they ?

Thanks again.

Reply to
thor

From what i'd heard the original 1.6 BMW MINI engine was based on a Chrysler engine. Although now BMW have a deal going with the Peugeot Citreon Group for engines. I think that's the source of the current diesel engine, and petrol engines for the 2006 versions.

To get back on topic. My Mini has a 1275cc A series engine with a curious rattle from the valve gear, which I believe to be caused by worn cam followers and or push rods.

Reply to
Clive W

Definitely not British. No idea where they are made because I have no interest in these cars, which have nothing to do with Minis.

Sorry, but what 'BMW quality standards'? Have you looked at any customer satisfaction surveys recently? All the German manufacturers have plummeted to new depths......presumably because of the state of the German economy post-Euro and the demoralisation of the woirkforce, plus the increased competition from more cost-effective manufacturers. The only European manufacturer which is up there with the best of the Japanese (Toyota, Honda, Subaru) is Jaguar.

Too large. Too heavy. Too fat. Too little room in the rear seat, despite their massive size. Too little room in the boot, despite their massive size. Tendency to catch fire. Tendency to break down a lot. Tendency to get recalled rather frequently. Driven by poseurs and fashion victims. Anything else?

Regards, David Betts snipped-for-privacy@minilist.org The Mini Gallery:

David Betts

before fully stripping the engine check the rocker arms, somtimes a indentation wears in them where it stis on the valve, this makes the measurment false when you put the feeler gauge in giving you a bigger gap,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

I was quite supprised to see the new bini cooper does not even come with a spare wheel ;-)

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

|Yep! No room for one, despite the size of the thing. The Mini is all about brilliant packaging. The imposter is one of the worst packaged cars you can buy. Basically, it's an insult to the genius of the original concept.

Regards, David Betts snipped-for-privacy@minilist.org The Mini Gallery:

David Betts

AAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhh! That's better now ! Answers begin to arrive. All are interesting and I will carefully consider the clues everybody's giving.

Thanks a lot guys. Shall I add that if I'm asking about them, it's because my wife would like to have one. I agree fashion oriented car.

Bye

"David Betts" a écrit dans le message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
thor

I know for sure there's excessive wear on the bottoms of the pushrods.(It's just as descibed on the Mini Spares website) I don't think the rockers aren't too bad. Although it's been more rattley since I set the valve clearances to the correct gaps for the MG Metro cam it's got.

Changing the push rods is going to mean a head gasket change as well isn't it as i'll have to undo four of the cylinder head nuts?

Reply to
Clive W

no, you can back the nuts of on the adjusters on the rocker arms & move them on the rocker shaft if its not to gummed up,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s