Speedo out, wheel change?

Hi, i have recently brought my first mini, a 1994 Mini Sprite on 12" minilites, but i have a problem, when i am doing 30mph, the speedo says im doing 26mph, when i am doing 60, it says im doing 46mph. I am assuming that this is because the car was sold with 10" wheels and now has 12". Is this easy to rectify, or does it need to be done professionally?

Cheers, Callum.

Reply to
CallumN

You need to get your speedometer recalibrated, there's a firm called Speedycables that can do this for you, sorry but I don't know the telephone number. They used to be based in London, but I'm sure they relocated to Swansea!

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

A 94 sprite would have been sold with 12" wheels not 10s, so this isnt your problem. has it had a new gearbox in? or change of final drive, or change of dials?

Reply to
RS

by the way :

Speedy Cables Abercrave, swansea, SA9 1SQ Tel 01639 732213

An excellent firm btw

Reply to
RS

Hi Callum, your car was originally built with 12" wheels, not 10"s, the problem is somewhere else, possibly the speedo head perhaps, (unless it has the engine and box from a very early mini) Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Yes, the previous owner had a new gearbox put in, i forgot about that until you mentioned it.

Reply to
CallumN

So how would i go about fixing this?

Reply to
CallumN

Sorry I didn't read your first post clearly either, I took it that you'd changed your wheels from 12" to 10"! But yes it's still worth contacting Speedy Cables because I'm sure they can recalibrate the speedo to work correctly regardless of what gearbox your using?

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Hi all

I recently read a short article in the MiniSpeed catalogue - it may well be repeated on their web site?

Page 67. Speedo cables and speedos DO NOT (it says here...) determine the correct callibration of speed: they simply read what they are told from the gearbox. The speed calculation takes place through the speedo drive gears in the greabox. These need to be changed when altering final drive or wheel size in order to maintain an accurate speedo reading. Please see gearbox section for more information.

There is too much on that page for here, but it makes interesting reading.

I suppose you could recalibrate the head - and thats a lot easier to get at... Don't know. Long way to go before I start worrying about that. Come to think about it - no - I need to plan this before the engine goes back together. Too late once its all bolted in. :-)

Hope helpful

Peter

Reply to
Pedro

Sounds like a the problem I have (see earlier post), I swapped the gearbox over but thought (I don't know why) I should keep the original speedo drive gear so I replaced the one in the new gearbox with my original one. My speedo is now out by the same amount as yours.

I haven't yet been bothered to try and swap it back as it looks like I may have trouble getting at it with the engine in place and it's a bit cold in the garage at the moment.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
TurboJo