Stainless Steel Fixings

Hi All,

Supply of quality stainless steel nut, bolt, washer, and other fastening kits for minis and other classic vehicles. Many sold on ebay, best sellers = Rear Subframe Fitting Kit @ £11.70, Manifold Nut and Washer Kit @ £3.10 All sizes available. Full catalogue available on request.

Cheers Andy

Reply to
Andrew Davenport

hi really good idea if you never want to remove them again or you like bolts shearing off .

Manufaturers dont use stainless bolts for a reason .

fragged

Reply to
fragged

Hi Fragged Totally agree, Great if you don't put them under stress, brilliant for under water use, etc, (NB) nice to see you back in the NG, what u been up to mate, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

There is also what's called preferential corrosion - the electrolysis between the steel and stainless.

(NB)

Reply to
Rob

The vast majority of stainless fasteners are grade A2-70, and have approximately 85% of the tensile strength of grade 8.8 steel bolts. As such, stainless fasteners are only recommended for non-stressed applications, which effectively rules out brake calipers, suspension mountings, brake discs, seatbelt anchors and propshaft bolts.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

This has been discussed here many times I think

Serach for Stainless Steel Bolts.

I found this - not sure how to create a link to a past thread...

Need to be sure what we are doing.

Form over function...??? I like the last comment in the thread :-)

  1. Graham Wolstenholme Apr 26 2000, 7:00 am show options Newsgroups: alt.autos.mini From: zebedee@PROBLEM_WITH_INEWS_DOMAIN_FILE (Graham Wolstenholme) - Find messages by this author Date: 2000/04/26 Subject: Re: Stainless bolts Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

Stainless steel isn't the cure-all solution for corrosion in steel that it sometimes seems to be unfortunately.

There are many grades of stainless steel, each of which has different characteristics, but common problems include: Rusting when in contact with ordinary steels.

More prone to high cycle fatigue failures.

Particularly prone to crevice corrosion and resultant fatigue failure. (This is particularly nasty because you won't see it at all until the bolt breaks.)

Stainless bolts are NOT high tensile bolts. For many automotive applications they simply are not strong enough to tighten them properly. This isn't a problem when bolting the top radiator bracket onto the thermostat housing, but is potentially a very real problem for example in head and rocker block bolts.

High tensile bolts are available in gold passivated zinc chromate finish (gold colored) which will probably perform as you had hoped stainless would do.

Graham

ianb ( snipped-for-privacy@bt : Anyone know if stainless bolts etc can be sourced for a mini. If so where : from

: I really want a set of bolts etc to put a stop to rusty bolts forever

: Thanks

-- "As the radius of knowledge increases.....

So too does the circumference of ignorance"

Reply to
Pedro

I agree, stainless should be used where appropriate like bumper bolts & hedlight bezel screws etc........

Reply to
GO

OK so you say that doesn't happen BS

And if you have not read in another post

"Rusting when in contact with ordinary steels."

"Particularly prone to crevice corrosion and resultant fatigue failure."

Please explain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Rob

Stainless steel is a horrible material that comes in many different grades (similar to mild steel) you have to choose the grade (tensile strength wise) to fit the purpose. Just going to the local chandlery for the stuff just isn't going to work. Manufacturers use the cheapest components they can get their hands on that is 'fit for purpose' why use a 10p screw when a 1p plastic clip will do the job? Over to you....

Reply to
GO

You have answered yourself thanks.

Reply to
Rob

Will you be going to Llandudno at the weekend?

Reply to
GO

Steady folks. Perhaps we shouldn't fall out...?

The original poster has goods for sale and hasn't been back to answer any of the criticisms.

Here is the link to his ebay page

No mention of grade. If someone wants to ask him for details of the quality of the SS he is offering this would give him the chance to answer.

Not sure I would fasten my sub frame on with these bolts though without reassurance. Life's too short.

Pedro