Starting problems

Car's a 1987 998 and over the last couple of months has developed a few problems starting. I've had to put a recon starter motor on as the missus burnt the starter clutch out, this improved things somewhat. Unfortunately now, every once in a while when I crank her over she turns really slowly as if the battery is flat, which it is not. I've checked the alternator which is throwing out just under 14 volts (13.8 to be precise), checked all the connections etc that are all tight so this is leading me to thing I've got some wiring breaking down somewhere. Any ideas where to start looking ?

TIA Jim

Reply to
Jim

Check the battery connections & the battery earth lead, remove & sandpaper all rust paint & away, always worth having an extra earth lead from the body to the engine, chech where the positive lead terminates on the starter solenoid & the lead from the starter to the solenoid, I would say try a new battery as a starting point if its more than a few years old,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

Had these problems with my wife's '99 V 1.3i. Fitted a second earth strap and all these problems stopped.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Check the resistance from the engine to the body of the car, the braded earth straps can do funny things. Un bolting it, cleaning it up and reconnecting might help. You could also put the meter on volts between the engine and body, then get someone to crank the engine and see if you get a voltage reading. If you do its the earth.

Could also be caused by advanced timing, but if you havent changed it?

cheers

-anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Thanks for all the replies, I'll pop out and get another earth lead for the engine and find somewhere to put it and a new clamp for the postive side of the battery which has seen better days !

Thanks again

Jim

Reply to
Jim

[SNIP]

Just put 2 new earth straps on, just before I went to get them I thought I better have a look where I was going to attach one, to get the length right and noticed one strap had broken ! So I thought I better get 2. Connected them both from the front subframe and one to the alternator bracket and the other to a starter motor securing bolt. Started fine and now I'm getting over 14.5 volts to the battery so it looks much healtier.

If I still have problems I'll get another strap between the subframe and the rest of the body and see if that helps.

Thanks again for all the help

Jim

Reply to
Jim