Technical: Clutch Not Releasing

Background:

New (used) one piece flywheel versus old two piece, new clutch disc, pressure plate, release bearing (looked different from old one ).

Situation:

Seems clutch does not disengage. I can physically see the arm moving and I can verify through the peephole in the clutch housing that the pressure plate is moving (maybe not enough) but I recollect that it only needed to move only a little bit before.

At wit's end. Seeking advice in case it's a simple affair before I disssassemble the whole shebang again.

Thanks Guys and I hope you Guys are having a wonderful Sunday.

Reply to
iDillinger

Search under 'disengage' in this group - there are lots of references.

One thing I saw a few years ago (this won't be your problem I doubt)

Mate of mine fitted a harder cluch spring to his 1275S and set it all up. Clutch would not disengage. He reached his wits end.

Finally we found a hairline crack at the neck of the clutch lever arm - just above the ball end as it sits in the mechanism. When he took it apart the hairline crack closed up. When he set up the end stop throw, all seemed well until he tried to use the clutch.

New clutch arm sorted it, but a spot of weld would probably have done the job.

Try the 'disengage' (or similar) search on this site - I suspect you will find the answer in there somewhere.

Good luck

Peter

Reply to
Pedro

Hi Pedro:

Thanks for the feedback. I will do a search as suggested.

Reply to
iDillinger

Is it verto or non verto? If it is non verto, check that the big nut at the bottom of the arm is correctly done up and that the clutch is correctly adjusted using the bolt that makes a bump stop for the arm.

The Muffin Man

Reply to
The Muffin Man

when you say "you can see the arm moving" how far would you say it travels if measured from the cylinder to the top of the arm,

also check the two big nuts (throw out stop adjustment)at the end of the said lever arm, make sure they are not hitting the clutch cover Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

After a little more thought and a beer, I would make a guess that the bearing has further to travel before contacting the pressure plate, when this happened years ago, we had to bend the clutch actuating arm about

1" towards the cylinder, please be advised,, this is not the correct repair,and is not found in any books, but it did the job, I had to do it recently on my mates mini after he fitted a mix'n'match clutch Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

sorry a little late with reply, is this a Verto clutch we are talking about? I will admit to a similar problem after my first Verto rebuild, I put the release bearing in wrong way round! One very embarrased person here!!!

Reply to
Malcolm Bridges

Hi Malcom:

Oh it turned out to be more bigger than that.

Short of the story was my flywheel spun on the crank and walked backwards.

I did not sit the flywheel hence also the key properly.

Lot's of learning on this project but it's all for the better.

Reply to
Tatiele