Temp gauge problem

My temperature gauge shows hot as soon as you turn the car on. I've replaced the clock and the sender, but it's still showing the wrong reading. Could this be due to a faulty voltage stabiliser?

Thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark Steward

In message , Mark Steward writes

If this is the old type (slow reacting) bi-metallic strip temperature gauge, then a short-circuit of the wire between the sender and the gauge to 0V (car body) will cause it to read high. Try disconnecting the wire at the sender and the gauge should drop to read minimum. If there is a s/c of the gauge to 0V then it will still read high. (I suppose it reads low with the ignition switched off?)

Reply to
Chris Morriss

Well I did send a post a few days ago regarding this message/thread but again it didn't send for some reason via Outlook Express? Anyway what year Mini do you have? Does it have the Clubman style clocks in front of you? If it's a post 1985 model, it generally has Nippon Seiki Instruments instead of the trusty and better (I think) Smiths Instruments and the Nippon's don't have a voltage stabiliser behind the clocks as their all electronic unfortunately.

But yes check for shorting somewhere too!

Reply to
Taffy