The wheel is knocking

As the title suggests really. When I lift off the go pedal there's a knock from the front passenger wheel. Any ideas as to what this could be. I thought it might be a ball joint but I don't know how to check them.

As usual any advice gratefully received

-- Cheers

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Seaman

The best thing for this sounds like you will need to get a mate to grab the top and bottom of your wheel and rock it while you have a good look underneath at all the steering and suspension components, it is best to put the mini on axle stands to do this!

It would be hard to say with out looking but ball joints don't tend to make knocking noises unless they are really bad, I would first check out the front tie rod bushes then have a look at subframe and engine mounts as they tend to go with alarming regularity.......you can obtain uprated poly bushes from most mini shops, well worth the money!

hope that helps!

Reply to
miniman

I would guess that your top engine steady bushes are shot. Get some uprated ones as the standard ones die from the heat within about 2 months.

If it isn't that, does the steering do anything? I had a sheared bolt holding the drum brakes on a few years back and it would go left on accelerating and right on decelerating.

The Muffin Man

Reply to
The Muffin Man

Chris

I had this with my sons Clubman, it turned out to be the steering rack so it could be the same. Only choice is in that instance was to replace the rack. Not a good job but nice when the knocking disappears. Good luck.

Rgds Keith

Reply to
<staggnz

Reply to