tips on starting an engine that has been stood for 4 years

I plan to a.. change oil and filter b.. drain petrol and replace with fresh with additive, possibly pouring some down the air intake of the carb as it has a mechanical fuel pump c.. take sparks out and pour engine oil into the chambers and let it sit there for a day or so while charging the battery and putting core plugs in it etc. d.. i may turn to engine over by hand slowly as to not crack the piston rings. any more tips welcomed.

Reply to
RS

I dont normally stick engine oil of any kind down the cylinders, it was never meant to go there! For what you're doing I'd chuck a bit of redex down the bores, at least that wont soot up the plugs as quick. I would replace diaphragm in fuel pump. If I remember rightly the petrol can seep into the sump if it has perished. New plugs and a good couple of minutes of cranking before connecting the centre lead on the dizzy should leave it ok. New core plugs certainly wouldn't hurt. Checked static timing if it wasn't you that laid it up? Have you checked to make sure the clutch hasn't seized on?

Chris "RS" wrote in message news:uPllf.15448$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net... I plan to a.. change oil and filter b.. drain petrol and replace with fresh with additive, possibly pouring some down the air intake of the carb as it has a mechanical fuel pump c.. take sparks out and pour engine oil into the chambers and let it sit there for a day or so while charging the battery and putting core plugs in it etc. d.. i may turn to engine over by hand slowly as to not crack the piston rings. any more tips welcomed.

Reply to
Chris

mmm ... as above but i would crack it by hand say 10 - 20 before cranking on starter .. and do it with out spark plugs first so it can turn freely ..

Reply to
gregory.machin