torque settings for wheel bearings

Hi

The haynes manual shows two very different settings (60 and 150 lb/ft). It seeems our open classic comes under the 60 setting (although it is a 1275 engine).

Are different bearings fitted to some models?, also should the torques be checked periodically?.

thanks

Gary

Reply to
geepeetee

Is this front or rear wheel bearings?

Because I dont think Ive ever torqued up wheel bearings.

cheers

-anthony

Reply to
Anthony

check cv joint 1 hole for split pin 150, 2 holes for split pin 60 cheers

Reply to
Hamish

The rear are tapered and should not be torqued up, just finger and thumb pressure is enough usually, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Hi

thnaks for replies, sorry forgot to mention these are the front bearings

Gary

Reply to
geepeetee

early manual says:

Drive shaft nut (fr* Front hub to drive shaft - nut 260 Nm

see also:

HTH, Theo van den Bogaard

Reply to
t.a.j.m.vdnbogaard

I've done mine recently, T wrench only went to 90 so did them to that then tightened to the next line up of the castle nit and split pin hole. As Haynes manual said do up to the torque then on some more to line up for the split pin. They should have just said, "tighter than a very tight thing"!

Reply to
Martin