Urgent. where is the flasher unit on a 1972 clubman estate

Hi

Need to know where the flasher unit is on a 1972 clubman estate...cant find it anywhere and indicators not working..

Just about to go out...well trying to...any help would be appriciated ASAP

Lyndsay

Reply to
lyndsay

Well this has just recently been mentioned when another member asked about their indicators too.

Anyway the indicator flasher unit is situated behind the dashboard clock/pod. Yes the 2 pack pod as your Mini is a Clubman Estate? But before you go mucking around, has your Mini Clubman Estate got a hazard warning light switch and system fitted? It should if it's a post 1976 model? If it has try this little trick first and switch the hazard lights on, then with your ignition on click your direction indicator stalk either left or right as if you were switching your indicators on too. Then finally with your ignition still switched on and your direction indicator on (clicked left or right), "turn off your hazard warning light switch". Well sometimes this forces the indicators to work and it's worked for me a couple of times on different Mini's

As for the flasher unit well the haynes manual recommends you pull the fascia (clock surround pod) off to get at it, but you need to be very careful as the pod and plastic clock/speedo mount behind is very easy to break if forced and the fascia pod is a bugger to refit afterwards too & the 1275GT type with the rev counter is even more difficult. But if it does come off with gentle pesuasion then your lucky (even though refitting using those damned clips is a nightmare), if not don't force it.

So I've always stuck my hand underneath the dashboard and reached up to grasp the little silver cylinder which is the indicator flasher unit to remove it from it's little mounting bracket. It has 2 spade connectors running off it and is then easy to replace.

Failing that you can peel back the dash liner from around the clock/pod (you'll have to first undo and remove the air-vent nearest the clock/pod) and undo the screws mounting the whole clock/pod unit and then pull it away without disturbing the fascia or the clips. This again is a fiddly job but I'd just stick my hand up under the dash and route around for the flasher unit myself.

I think someone also said that if the hazard warning light flasher (mounted on the right hand side of the engine bay bulkhead) is corroded, this can cause your indicators to fail too?

Good luck!

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Sorry just re-read and no your 1972 model won't have the hazard warning lights, so have you checked your fuses? You've only got a few to check and is everything else electrical working as it should?

I'd post details of the fuse box rating and stuff that I have, but it won't relate to your Mini.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy