VIN numbers

Hello everybody

Can anybody tell me what year they started stamping the VIN number onto the body of the car. I know older cars only had the VIN plate either on the front cross member or on the R/H inner wing.

Thanks

Karl

Reply to
Karl
1959, it was stamped into the drivers side footwell then, later minis have it in the drain channel left side above the bulk head, some dont have them at all for one reason or other, the vin plate its self is not required if the car was made before 1st August 1980.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

The VIN number as we know it today (17 digit) has been stamped onto the scuttle of the car since these type of VIN numbers were issued. With mini's I think it tends to be around late '79 or '80. A mini with the VIN stamped into the scuttle will always have the large VIN plate riveted to the l/h inner wing as you look at the engine bay from the front of the car - well it should! It should also have paint and interior codes too. Older mini's also have a body number on the r/h inner wing as you look at it under the bonnet along with a 'Car No' plate on the slam panel. Like an official VIN number but more used by the manufacturer to trace parts, s/h, production date etc. There is often another plate on the slam panel, sometimes detailing whether seat belts have been fitted and what type. Pickup's and Van's also have a weighting plate which shouldn't really be removed. It has the vehicle's max gross weight stamped on it. I'm not sure but I have been told an MOT can be refused to a vehicle with this removed. Prob not an issue nowadays as most are used for leisure.

Chris

"Karl" wrote in message news:DuwGe.16545$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net...

Reply to
Chris

That was the body number, it should begin with L. There are also a couple of "FE" numbers dotted around the car (passenger footwell and inner wing) but these are largely irrelevant.

My 1962 car did have the chassis number (just the numbers) stamped into the cross bar on the drivers side (the one welded to the bulkhead), but my 1964 does not.

Reply to
Howard Rose

I have a 1978 (S Reg) Mini Clubman with the VIN located on a plate on the front cross member. After much searching I couldn't find any VIN stamped on the body work so I had to pay to have one stamped to get the car registered in Holland where it is compulsory.

Reply to
ln1gaw

responding to

eecslsz21 wrote: HI i need information about my motorbike i found the vin but its only 9 digit *5m6-078014* what is the year of 78 or 80? plz help ps sry for the "motorcycle in car topic mistake" and sry for my english

CommunityWeb and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.autos.mini - 5624 messages and counting!##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
eecslsz21