Windscreen wipers will not switch off

Hi,

I have a 1993 Mini which the windscreen wipers will not switch off. Sometimes they do but normally I have to knock the wiper leaver when the blades are in the park position to stop them. Does anyone know what is the problem?

Thanks

Caroline

Reply to
Carolinexxx

There is a "park switch" in the wiper motor. The wipers are "on" all the time, except for a small part of their travel in the park position. That way they automatically stop there. All the wiper switch does is to turn on the bit where the park switch stops them.

The park switch tends to die, but it usually fails "off" so the wipers don't park properly instead of failing "on" so they won't stop.

Reply to
Graham W

There is a pair of change over contacts in the park switch. When the wipers are switched on, this switch is by-passed. When they are switched off, the switch maintains power until the park position. It then shorts out the rotor windings to provide regenerative breaking to the motor. If those contacts are not making, the wipers will not stop. The switch can be dismantled, with difficulty, but it's been many years since |I did one. New ones are cheap enough though.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Thanks. I have ordered a new switch rather than try to take the old one apart so hopefully that will fix it.

Reply to
Carolinexxx

I've just replaced the same switch on my Mini Clubman, sixteen quid from a Lucas dealer. It was quite a fiddly job. First you have to remove the cover on the wiper motor/gearbox assembly and disconnect the rod. Unplug the switch connector block and remove the whole wiper assembly. Remove the circlip from the back of the assembly that secures the shaft of the wiper gear wheel. Tap the gear wheel shaft out using a small hammer and drift. Release the spring clip that secures the old switch to the assembly body and remove the old switch. Then fit the new switch and grease up the assembly.

Good luck

Reply to
ln1gaw

there is no need to take the wheel box apart to change the park switch! at least I didn't on an 88 mini, just release the securing screws holding the motor down pull it away from the bulk head enough to get at the multiplug take the main connection off, note the position of wires on the park switch, lift the back of the switch slightly and slide off away from the motor, a 2 min job provided the securing screws come out! replacement is reverse of removal:-)

although it is probably a good idea to clean out the wheel box and regrease.

Barnaby

Reply to
Barnaby