03 Outlander Trans Fluid Change

Just curious what people's feeling on this is... I recently took an 03 Outlander to get the trans fluid changed out at 30k. They did use the removal machine to get all of it. I noticed on the computer screen it said Diamond ATF SP III. I asked the guy if he was going to use that, and he told me he would. Then when I came back to get the car, I noticed the guy was adding an additive from a red bottle. On the invoice it says they used auto trans fluid with Heartland ATF Converter, which I guess converts the fluid supposedly. I called a trans shop and the guy seemed to think it would be OK. It just ticks me off when somebody tells you they will doing something one way, then they do it another. Should I get it redone with the Mitsu fluid? Also, should a filter or anything else be changed when the trans fluid is changed?

Thanks for any help,

Reply to
dpdphoto

If you do not drop the pan, then you can't change the filter. You also can not clean out all the friction material and sediment and other crap that collects in the pan at the bottom. The fluid change machine is a gimmick that is intended to save the shop on labor. It may get all the fluid (as opposed to about 50% or so) as advertised, but it is far from perfect! I personally prefer to drop the pan every 30K miles and do the job the old way. 50% old fluid with a new filter and clean pan is better in my opinion. If you are really meticulous, then drop the pan, change the filter, and then do the machine flush to get the remaining stuff in the cooler lines, torque converter, etc.

On the fluid, if they did not use exactly what was specified (especially after you had asked) and they then put in some other fluid (most trans places buy GM's Dexron III by the 55 gallon drum so use it plus an additive), then I'd make them flush it out again and do the job right! Today's transmissions are very particular about the fluid you use and unless the manufacturer specifies it, no additives should be needed. You were right to change it at 30K miles, but now may encounter problems down the road because of their drive to make more money off of you. This is exactly why I try to do my own maintenance work.

These are my opinions only. Do what you like and I'm sure others will feel what you have in there is fine.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Thanks... I'll probably wait a while and redo it. I also noticed that it looks like it was over filled, though it's hard to tell... The dip stick is a poor design and it's very hard to tell how high the level is.

Bob Shuman wrote:

Reply to
dpdphoto

Reply to