07 eclipse

my daughter just bought an 07 eclipse. traded in her 99 eclipse for it. which she also bought new. she loves those eclipses. its a 5 speed 4 cyl like her 99 was. she always shifts at like 4000 rpm.to me that is a little high. i shift at like 3000 rpm. she just kind of winds it out. tried to get her to shift at like around 3000 rpm but she is just in the habit of 4000 rpm. she doest even look at the tach just feels right to her at around 4000 rpm. just wondering if you guys think that is too high on a regular basis. her 99 was burning a little oil at 76000 miles like 1 qt every 1500 miles or so. just wondering what you guys thought. thanks

Reply to
Sonny Sonny

The answer depends on the goal: Is it economy or acceleration/power?

Unless you are going up a steep grade at 3,000 RPM in my opinion you shouldn't be overloading the engine.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Reply to
simpleton

I smell troll ... and of course Fast&Furious is based on reality.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

He's discussing a shift point.

If you shift before the torque peak, the engine speed falls below maximum torque and has to labor in a very un-economical fashion to accellerate. A great many of us have found that our Eclipses respond to being briskly shifted and that granny shifting consumes more fuel. I can do 22 city 30 highway in a 450whp all wheel drive car this way.

Reply to
simpleton

Don't like the sound of an OTA BOV on a 420A?.. I almost walked out of the theatre when I saw that.. Or the fact that the Eclipse was equipped with a

7-speed transaxle in the race.

Classic... LOL

ech (Just sold my '95 GS.. Hoping to buy a 2gen 2nd edition GST or GSX)

Reply to
fu-Z-logic

looks like the jury is still out on this one. it says in the book that peak torque is 4000 rpm. will tell my daughter 4000 rpm is a fine shift point. think most of you agree it shouldn't hurt the engine.mxw says these engines should not be run over 2000rpm. cant go with that one since 2000 rpm in 5th gear is 46 mph. might get run over on the interstate lol. i like those 5 speeds. fun to drive. not the same as my old 57 ford fairlane with the 3 speed on the column. bet you guys don't remember any of those. thanks to all

Reply to
Sonny Sonny

:-) If you do not believe I can send you sample after I race it over 3000 rpm It is always alt. belt, ps and a/c are fine and if you google you can see that many people reported such flaw with 4G64 engine.

torque and has to labor in a very un-economical

shifted and that granny shifting consumes more fuel.

and having to lug the motor back up.

shouldn't be overloading the engine.

Reply to
MXW

Bwahaha! This one hits 11,000 rpm every weekend......

The F&F reference was classic!

Reply to
simpleton

Dayco belts make an extra 15hp over stock belts!

WARNING! *Manifold Danger*

Reply to
simpleton

Take a look at the crank hub pulley. Mitsubishi uses a two piece design: an inner cast hub and an outer pulley section that are held together by a vulcanized rubber center section. The rubber center section turns the piece into an effective harmonic damper, lessening harmful rotational vibrations in the crankshaft. While this unit works well, the rubber is prone to becoming brittle and allowing the outer hub to separate. Belts falling off is a certain symptom of failure. The 4G64 is a rock solid motor.

Reply to
simpleton

Sounds like sludge. I also have the 07 Eclipse GS. It's a great car. For more information on how to care for her new car, visit

My name in the forums is mutiny and there are a lot of guys there with a LOT of know how when it comes to Mitsubishi in general, but they know a TON more when it comes to Eclipses (no matter which generation). Don't forget to drop by
it can't hurt.

--Sean (aka mutiny)

Reply to
Sean

I just bought a 2007 Eclipse Spyder GT and if I wait to shift above 3k RPM then I use up noticeably more gas. If I stick to around 2k or 2500 then my MPG seems to go up a couple. I'm still in the middle of a tank where I'm trying to not go above 2500 so the exact MPG hasn't been calculated yet but I'm looking to get around 22MPG out of this tank instead of 19.5 I got out of the last one. Maybe the GS isn't so bad since it is a smaller engine and is only a 5 speed (mine is a V6 and 6 speed) but I would think shifting at a lower RPM would still save some gas. The owner's manual should tell you at what speeds to shift (mine does). My manual says I should be going into 5th gear around 50-55 mph I believe. What's her manual say?

Reply to
Brandon McCombs