1990 eclipse.............

4-cyl turbo awd auto

Car when put in any gear sounds like a box of rocks crunching. bought for $800.00 Previos owner said the trans was replaced less than 1 year ago I found the right rear tire was several sizes bigger than the rest. Could this have destroyed the transfer case? All axles and shafts are intact. The car has a strong moter, is it worth repairing? Sell for parts?

thanks.bob in ohio

Reply to
Bob K

If it does it in gear but at idle, then it's probably the transmission itself. Either way, if you look locally or on dsmtrader.com you should be able to find whatever you need for a good price. The cars are now quite old so lots of used parts available. If the engine is good and the body is fine, I'd certainly fix what needs fixing.

And yes, different size tires can really mess things up. It probably is the trans itself. Might be a bad center differential. You can take the end case off the trans through the wheelwell and pull the center diff out with the rest of the trans still in the car. Probably easier to just swap the whole trans, though.

And then get a catback and K&N for it and turn the boost up to 15psi and be amazed at how fast the car then is.

Reply to
Brad