1990 Eclipse Alternator Voltage

Anyone know what the factory alternator on a '90 Mitsubishi Eclipse should put out -- both with and without load?

Thanks in advance.

Fred

Reply to
Fred

volts or amps and at what temp?

\
Reply to
simpleton

Any info would be helpful. Volts and amps cold (70 deg F) or up to engine temperature.

Reply to
Fred

I just checked with the local dealer and they say that the 65A model should put out 14A under load.

I would still like to know if this is real world or not, since other repair shops say 16A is required under load.

Reply to
Fred

What are you talking about? I would think that a 65A(mp) alternator should be able to put out 65 amps if needed under "load"...

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Thanks Bob.... I should have said it puts out 14V under load - not amps.

Reply to
Fred

I just went through this with my sons 91 Laser.

According to the SM at -4 degrees F the output voltage should be between

14.2 and 15.4 volts At +178 degrees F it should be between 13.1 and 14.5 volts. The current output for a 65 Amp alternator is (according to the manual) minimum 45.5 Amps.

The regulator has a sense wire that runs directly from the battery, if the voltage drops below 13.9 volts (at 68 degrees), the regulator turns on the alternator to charge the battery. At 14.9 volts the regulator turns off the alternator, until the voltage drops below 13.9 volts.

Ray

"Fred" wrote in news:QIyag.11789$Nw6.7930@trnddc03:

Reply to
Nirodac

Thanks, Ray. That's a great help.

Reply to
Fred

The usual test I do is measure the battery voltage with the motor off then start the car and measure the voltage with the engine running. If the alternator is working you should see a slightly higher voltage with the engine running and/or revving. If the voltage is same as before and slowly dropping, you have a problem.

GK

Fred wrote:

Reply to
GK