1990 Eclipse Automatic Seat Belts

Speaking of design flaws....

These things are the worst thing for a human head. And don't EVEN stick your head out the window before opening the door unless you are practicing for hari kari.

Now, right to the QUESTION:

The fricking seat belt motor switch is shorted out and when the belt hits the end of the trail, the power is still applied to the motor. Overnight, the battery drains.

As I said..... QUESTION:

Anything street-legal I can do to either get rid of these auto-belts or a way to convert them to manual so I don' t have to keep getting my head cut off?

Fred

Reply to
Fred

*WHY* in Heaven's name, would you *DO* that. Oh never mind! :-(

  1. Get the switch fixed. or
  2. Install a toggle switch so you can cut power to the motor when you get out. (If you or someone you know is technically inclined you could employ a time-delayed relay that would cut power after the ignition has been off for 15 or so seconds.)

It disconnects at the upper end. allow it to go to the rear position, remove fuse. From then on just fasten or release manually.

IMO the automatic seat belts are better than exploding, single use, expensive-to-replace air bags.

Reply to
G. R. Woodring

Get the Canadian seat belt.

simpleton

Oh, you may wish to contact Stewart and ask for help in sourcing the parts.

Reply to
simpleton

I can source used trim and mechanical parts, but I cannot supply used seat belts. Wreckers are not permitted to sell used belts, for one very good reason: you don't know the history. A belt that has stretched in one accident will snap in another one.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Hi

I'm not so shure on this I think I read along time ago the canadaian version of the Eclipse had the manual belts. I'm not sure what the conversion would entail, but I think I read it was possible.

Regards, Chance

Reply to
Chance

yeah, dont stick your head out when you open the door, you know of the problem why stick it out?

and its a 1990, thats 16 years old, and how many times do think that door was open? then multiple that by 2, so its bound to get broken. luckily mines is still in good condition for being a 1990 also.

Reply to
AirborneDSM

"AirborneDSM" wrote .

Hmmm ... that's what my girlfriend says too!! :OD

Reply to
Fred

so you got problem sticking it out then?

if thats the problem you're in the wrong site. so your little guy is having a problem standing to attention huh? cant help you there budy,

mine is always ready!! and no problem at all.

Reply to
AirborneDSM