1990 Mighty Max rear axle bearings

One of my axle seals gave out after 270K miles, and while I was in there, I figured I would change the bearings too. Even with the sensible advice of the factory manual (I didn't buy the 'special tool' though), I simply could not get those bearings off. The manual says they press out, but they appear to be threaded on. There just isn't any way to get a puller on them, I can't get the whole axle in my press, and there is no way to get a grip on the bearings to turn them. Has anybody done this operation before? I ended up putting the new seals and shims on and closing it up, but I'd like to put the new bearings in someday.

Reply to
Lester Burnham

One of the guys on the Mitsubishi forum of

fabbed up the "special tool". Here is a link to the posts.

MG

Yeah, I tried that too, but I only had 3/8" plate, and when it started to bend, I quit trying. They really seemed a little too tight...

Reply to
Lester Burnham